Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hey,
Found this rule that we can use both present simple and present continuous to talk about regular actions that happen at a certain time. A teacher at school told us that it's true and there is no difference in it, it's just a nicer way of saying it. She said that British people, especially those who are better educated or come from aristocracy tend to use Continuous tenses for daily habits more often than Present simple. Is it really true? Because I checked many grammar books and ChatGPT all say that it's not true. Continuous can be used to emphasize annoying habits, temporary or new ones, but they do have a bit of difference in meaning. Which one is more accurate?
Thank you)

Attachments

• Screenshot_26.png
    Screenshot_26.png
    52.2 KB · Views: 2
Hey,
Found this rule that we can use both present simple and present continuous to talk about regular actions that happen at a certain time.
We sometimes can.
A teacher at school told us that it's true and there is no difference in it, it's just a nicer way of saying it.
That is not true. The difference in meaning may sometimes not be great, but there is always one.
She said that British people, especially those who are better educated or come from aristocracy tend to use Continuous tenses for daily habits more often than Present simple. Is it really true?
Not at all.

@Roks22 Grammar terms are not considered proper nouns.

If you feel the need for a greeting, stick with the less casual "Hello" and remember to add a closing punctuation mark.
I found this a rule that says we can use both the present simple and present continuous to talk about regular actions that happen at a certain time. A teacher at school told us that it's true and there is no difference in it between them; it's one is just a nicer way of saying it something. She said that British people, especially those who are better educated or come from the aristocracy, tend to use continuous tenses for daily habits more often than the present simple. Is it really true? Because I checked many grammar books and ChatGPT and they all say that it's not true.
Note my corrections above.
Continuous tenses can be used to emphasize annoying habits, temporary or new ones, but they do have a bit of difference in meaning. Which one is more accurate?
I don't understand this section. Please give some examples and explain what you mean by "they do have a bit of difference in meaning". What does "they" refer to?
Thank you.
There's no need to thank us in advance but when you do write it, remember to end it with a closing punctuation mark. Your original inexplicably had a closing bracket after the last letter.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back