Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,

I just saw this sentence on a website: ‘I was a teacher for 17 years - but I couldn’t read’. If the hyphen was replaced with a comma what would be the difference in meaning?

A comma would be incorrect. The dash could simply be removed (not replaced with anything) and you would have a grammatical sentence.

A comma would be incorrect. The dash could simply be removed (not replaced with anything) and you would have a grammatical sentence.

Why would it be incorrect?

Wouldn't it still be grammatically correct if a comma was used because "but" is a conjunction and a comma usually follows but.

If we examine the sentence: "I was a teacher for 17 years" and "I couldn't read" both are complete sentence isn't that right?

I know by not having a comma it means all the information is essential for the purpose of that sentence, but what is the other meaning if a coma was used?

Also I have always wondered - what is the author trying to convey by using the hyphen in this situation?

Apologies. A comma would be fine. I managed to miss the word "but" originally and thought it said "I was a teacher for 17 years - I couldn't read". Using a comma would have led to a comma splice.
Sorry for the confusion. A comma is OK before "but".

The speaker/writer assumes that the listener/reader would be very surprised by the part after "but".

Once last note: would it still be grammatically correct to omit the dash or comma so it reads: "I was a teacher for 17 years but I couldn’t read" to emphasise essential information?

Hi,

I want to revisit this question as I seem to lost focus on the original question.

1. I was a teacher for 17 years but I couldn’t read.

2. I was a teacher for 17 years, but I couldn’t read.

Is there a difference in meaning between the two sentences?

I want to revisit this question as I seem to lost focus on the original question.

1. I was a teacher for 17 years but I couldn’t read.

2. I was a teacher for 17 years, but I couldn’t read.

Is there a difference in meaning between the two sentences?

No, there's obviously no difference in meaning, but there's a difference in effect. The comma tells the reader to pause a little longer than they otherwise would. You can probably guess as well as we can why a writer might choose to do this.

I'm not sure what that means, and the underlined part is ungrammatical.

I'm not sure what that means, and the underlined part is ungrammatical.

How about now(I have revised two versions):

1. I want to revisit this question as I seem to have lost focus on the original question.
2. I want to revisit this question as I have lost focus on the original question.

How about now(I have revised two versions):

1. I want to revisit this question as I seem to have lost focus on the original question.
2. I want to revisit this question as I have lost focus on the original question.
Both sentences are grammatical. Do you mean that members stopped focusing on the original question?

Both sentences are grammatical. Do you mean that members stopped focusing on the original question?

I guess so, because we strayed to different questions.

By the way, I have revised my sentence to the following:

1. I want to revisit this question as I have seemed to lost focus on the original question.
2. I want to revisit this question as I seem to have lost focus on the original question.

Which sentence is better structure?

By the way, I have revised my sentence to the following:

1. I want to revisit this question as I have seemed to lost focus on the original question.
2. I want to revisit this question as I seem to have lost focus on the original question.

Only sentence 2 is grammatical. In sentence 1, you used a past participle where you need an infinitive.

Neither sentence conveys the idea I think you're aiming for, though.

As a native speaker, as you say you are, which one sounds better to you?

HeartShape, please correct the information on your profile.

Only sentence 2 is grammatical. In sentence 1, you used a past participle where you need an infinitive.

Neither sentence conveys the idea I think you're aiming for, though.

What idea are you thinking then?

As a native speaker, as you say you are, which one sounds better to you?

Sentence 2 sounds better on the ear. I written sentence 1 after doing some analysis on it, and I just wanted to check if the restructuring was sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back