Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
In the movie (Live), a lwayer was speaking about the show to the FCC saying after being asked "what did you tell them?":

"I told themthe show was never gonna clear the FCC (Federal Communication Committee) beacuse the show is un-airable"

Whe i search on google. I found this sentence "We saw Samsung clear the FCC a few monnths ago!!'

I really searched a lot but I have no clue about what can "clear mean in this sentence"

Thanks.

Based on what you said, still I can't get how "The program is not gonna clear the FCC"... He should've said then "The FCC is not gonna clear the program!" Agh...I can't understand. :cry::?:

If there is something in the structure I can't get, I'll be so gratefull if you make clear to me.

Thanks a lot.

Based on what you said, still I can't get how "The program is not gonna clear the FCC"... He should've said then "The FCC is not gonna clear the program!" Agh...I can't understand. :cry::?:

If there is something in the structure I can't get, I'll be so gratefull if you make clear to me.

Thanks a lot.
Some verbs can have this two-way function - with two closely-related meanings.

If Customs clears my luggage, then my luggage clears Customs.
If the censor passes a film, then the film passes the censor.
If the FCC clears the program, then the program clears the FCC.
If an examiner passes you, you pass the exam.

Thanks a lot for those amazing example. Clear now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back