Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

Are the sentences natural with "clear away"?

1) The football match came to an end, and the crowd soon cleared away from the ground.
2) When he read the letter, his doubts cleared away.
3) We must clear away the dinner things.

Who wrote those sentences?

These sentences are probably from some Chinese-English dictionaries.

They were written by some Chinese-English learners perhaps. I sometimes can find some in sentencedict.com but the dictionary is run by some Chinese people.

I wrote them down many years ago because I wanted to learn how to use those phrases and words. But it turns out that some of these sentences are wrong. As you can have seen from my earlier threads.

The second and third are fine.

The first is understandable but sounds odd. We might just say, "The crowd cleared out." (The "from the playground" would be understood, so saying it would be unnatural.)

To save being asked the same thing in thread after thread, please tell us where you found each sentence. Perhaps you could put the source in brackets after each sentence.

To save being asked the same thing in thread after thread, please tell us where you found each sentence. Perhaps you could put the source in brackets after each sentence.
If I understand correctly, the immediate source of these sentences is Silver's notebook, where they've resided for many years after being taken down as worthy of study. If that's the case, I think he can be forgiven for not knowing their ultimate origin.

Silver, your notebook is still a source. Please cite it with a few words like Personal notebook of sentences to study. Origins no longer known.

... and why not give us your opinion of their naturalness, Silver, now that you've accrued some years of familiarity with English since jotting them down, and perhaps suggest ways of improving any you find questionable?

Thank you all for helping me with my stupid sentences. I'll try my best to give the sources, give my opinions about the sentences.

I've been learning here from all of you for a while and I really appreciate your help, teachers!

The second and third are fine.

The first is understandable but sounds odd. We might just say, "The crowd cleared out." (The "from the playground" would be understood, so saying it would be unnatural.)

I think the prepositions away or out are not required.

If I understand correctly, the immediate source of these sentences is Silver's notebook, where they've resided for many years after being taken down as worthy of study. If that's the case, I think he can be forgiven for not knowing their ultimate origin.

Silver, your notebook is still a source. Please cite it with a few words like Personal notebook of sentences to study. Origins no longer known.

That's precisely what I was asking Silver to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back