Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

Can I say a city's "skyline soars into the sky"?

What do you think about this sentence?

The city's luminous skyline soars into the always grey / sullen sky above the city.

I wouldn't use sky twice that close together.

I mean, of course the skyline soars into the sky. Where else would it soar?

I wouldn't use sky twice that close together.

I mean, of course the skyline soars into the sky. Where else would it soar?

So, how do I talk about a city's skyline?

The skyline is the outline of the land and building against the sky, and that is static. I think it is the buildings which appear to soar into the sky especially as new and taller ones are being built. That's why they are called skyscrapers.

I can't imagine a skyline "soaring". How about "contrasts strikingly with...."

Of course, a skyline doesn't really do anything. But a viewer's eyes tend to move upward (into the sky).

I can't imagine a skyline "soaring". How about "contrasts strikingly with...."

What do you think about this?

The city's luminous skyline contrasts strikingly with the always sullen sky above the city.

But sky is again repeated twice.

What do you think about this?

The city's luminous skyline contrasts strikingly with the always sullen sky above the city.

But sky is again repeated twice.

Not exactly. In fact "sky" is only repeated once if you count "skyline" as its first appearance.

Clever personification!

Not exactly. In fact "sky" is only repeated once if you count "skyline" as its first appearance.

Clever personification!

So, what do you think about the sentence?

I like it. But why is the sky "sullen"? Is it overcast (which would make the sky gray)?

Yes sky is almost always overcast.

The city's luminous skyline contrasts strikingly with the almost always sullen / gray sky above the city.

Yes, the sky is almost always overcast.

The city's luminous skyline contrasts strikingly with the almost always sullen/gray sky above the city.

Note my corrections above. That sentence works OK for me (although I wouldn't choose to describe a sky as "sullen", but I get what you mean).

Note my corrections above. That sentence works OK for me (although I wouldn't choose to describe a sky as "sullen", but I get what you mean).
Sullen sounds fine to me. The sky is a moody thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back