Can't figure out what Mike Shepherd said exactly?

EChristina

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Gina Kadinsky: Dame Audrey McKinnon. Famous New Zealand writer.
DSS Mike Shepherd: Would have made it big.

Source: The Brokenwood Mysteries, Season 10, Episode 3

I think the sentence "Would have made it big" is not complete, missing some words at the beginning. I am wondering if anyone can help me out as to what DSS Mike Shepherd said exactly.

Attachments

• IMG_2452.PNG
    IMG_2452.PNG
    519.7 KB · Views: 4
You're right that the subtitles are incomplete. However, I can't make out what he says. It sounds like "Leaf ... broken" but he stutters at the start of the first word. (Does the character normally have a stutter? It sounds like he does again at the start of "writing".)
I've listened to it multiple times but I still can't make it out. The strange thing is that the first word is separated from the second by a pause, but the second seems to be connected to the rest of the sentence. It sounds like "Leaf ... broken would have made it big". Could she have written a book called "Leaf Broken"?

I didn't notice him stutter before, but I did notice him stutter saying "writing". I don't think any book ever mentioned. To me it sounds like "Early frogman would have made it big"... because Gina (medical examiner) found the body. Does it make sense or not? Or does it sound like "Brokenwood would have made it big"? Though it doesn't make sense to me.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back