can VS will be able to

Status
Not open for further replies.
« Je serai capable de parler français à la fin de ce cours », not « Je peux parler […] ». I see you piked up some French during your stay. As said earlier, my first thought went for I will be able to. "Will" implies more a will to speak French while "can" implies more a capacity to speak French. Accordingly, I’d say that "can" could work but "will be able" would be my first choice if I were to pick up one.
Thanks for your corrections, I always make those mistakes.:oops:
The point is though, that you wouldn't say "Je peux parler français à la fin de ce cours" in French, so why would you want to say it in English?

Two points:

1. Although bhaisahab's original example was helpful, to me at least, I feel that it is usually unwise to assess the constructions of one language by comparing them with those in another. (To take a completely different example: Just because French and German might use a subjunctive form in certain circumstance, it does not mean that English should).

2. Philadelphia wrote: To make it clearer, one may rewrite it as follows: "[I strongly believe in myself] I can speak French at the end of that course." However, my thought went for "will be able to" at first. Others consider that this is not possible. Personally, I feel that it is highly unlikely, but that philadelphia is right to point out that it could be heard from certain speakers in certain circumstannces.

Last edited:
2. Philadelphia wrote: To make it clearer, one may rewrite it as follows: "[I strongly believe in myself] I can speak French at the end of that course." However, my thought went for "will be able to" at first. Others consider that this is not possible. Personally, I feel that it is highly unlikely, but that philadelphia is write to point out that it could be heard from certain speakers in certain circumstannces.

After lots of discussions, do we have a result?
Can "can" replace "will be able to" in this context?

I can speak French at the end of this course.

Is there any conclusion?

After lots of discussions, do we have a result?
Can "can" replace "will be able to" in this context? Not as far as I am concerned.

I can speak French at the end of this course. "can" in a sentence like this means 'will be allowed to'.

Is there any conclusion?
For the intended meaning, "will be able to" is the correct choice. If you want to speak high-standard English, use "will be able to".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back