Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
I googled it and saw that the difference is that 'lie down' describes the motion, whereas 'lie' describes the stationary position. However, long ago, I had found on google that 'lie' also means 'assume a reclining position'. Does it mean that 'lie' can also be used for the motion? I'm asking this because, up to now, I have been using 'lie' both for the motion and the stationary position and I don't want, unless necessary, to go through the chore of rereading everything I have written up to now to change 'lie' into 'lie down' in all cases I described a motion.

We can't answer that without seeing some of the sentences you have written.

I suspect we'll have to consider each one on its merits and be unable to give you a catch-all decision.

We can't answer that without seeing some of the sentences you have written.

I suspect we'll have to consider each one on its merits and be unable to give you a catch-all decision.

I think you will help me a lot if you tell me if 'lie' can go here without 'down'...

'He (lay/lay down) on the bed in prone position'.

I think you will help me a lot if you tell me if 'lie' can go here without 'down'...

'He (lay/lay down) on the bed in a prone position'.

Only lay is possible there. Either verb works if you omit in a prone position.

Note that I added an article which was missing in your quote.

Last edited by a moderator:
Essentially, lie is for the stationary position only. It does depend on the sentence, though. For the motion, use lie down.

Essentially, lie is for the stationary position only. It does depend on the sentence, though. For the motion, use lie down.

So, I must write 'He lay down on the bed...'?

Only lay is possible there. Either verb works if you omit in a prone position.

Note that I added an article which was missing in your quote.

Are you sure I can't write 'in prone position'? I have found on google many sentences where it is written without an article.

So, I must write 'He lay down on the bed...'?

It depends what you mean. This way expresses motion, so you can't use it with in the prone position.

If you're talking about the stationary position, then you should use just lay and you could use in the prone position.

It depends what you mean. This way expresses motion, so you can't use it with in the prone position.

If you're talking about the stationary position, then you should use just lay and you could use in the prone position.

Why can't I use 'in the prone position' for motion as well, if the motion results into a prone position? Also, now I'm further confused about whether I should write 'in a prone position' (as another member suggested), 'in the prone position' (as you said) or 'in prone position' (as I have found on google).

Why can't I use 'in the prone position' for motion as well, if the motion results into a prone position?

Basically because in is a 'static' preposition. That means you can only use it with static verbs, not motion verbs. If you want a sense of motion, you would need to change the preposition, or just the verb itself, depending on which verb. For example, like this:

He got into the prone position.
He assumed the prone position.

Also, now I'm further confused about whether I should write 'in a prone position' (as another member suggested), 'in the prone position' (as you said) or 'in prone position' (as I have found on google).

It's not correct (at least for your purposes here) to use no article at all, so you should either use a or the. Generally, I think the is better but you could possibly use a. Also, there are other ways to say it (E.g. He lay prone on the bed) which would probably sound much better than in the prone position, anyway.

Last edited:
So, to sum it up, I reread everything I have written up to now (sigh) and, in all the cases I mean motion, replace 'lie in prone/supine/lateral position' with 'lie down into a prone/supine/lateral position'?

Another thing you don't seem aware of is the verb lay, which is a motion verb (as opposed to the static lie), and in which sense is similar in use to lie down. Another difference is that it must be used with an object. So, for example, you could say:

Mark slinked across the room and laid himself prone on Catherine's bed.

So, to sum it up, I reread everything I have written up to now (sigh) and, in all the cases I mean motion, replace 'lie in prone/supine/lateral position' with 'lie down into a prone/supine/lateral position'?

Yes and no, because you can't say lie down into a prone position.

(You're welcome.)

Yes and no, because you can't say lie down into a prone position.

(You're welcome.)

Is it technically wrong or just unnatural?

Is it technically wrong or just unnatural?

The problem is into. It's better with in. In fact, I now think it's natural with in.

Anyway, I'd still suggest lie down prone.

Let's see what other members think.

The problem is into. It's better with in. In fact, I now think it's natural with in.

Aren't you the one who told me (post 10) that 'in' is only for stationary positions and not for motions? That's why I changed it.

Anyway, I'd still suggest lie down prone.

Let's see what other members think.

Position doesn't add anything. The sentence is better without it.

I personally have nothing against "Can you lie down in a prone position?", "Can you lie down on the couch face down?". I'm sure I've said it to patients numerous times, and it's not ambiguous (though usually I want them supine, and say "face up").
It's similar to "Can you stand up with your feet about a shoulder-width apart?" To me, this doesn't imply that your feet need to be a shoulder-width apart during the whole of the standing up procedure. It's more efficient than saying "Can you stand up, and then place your feet a shoulder-width apart?"

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I cleared my confusion. All in all...

Stationary positions
-'Lie in a prone position' or 'Lie face down'
-'Lie in a supine position' or 'Lie on my back'
-'Lie in a lateral position' or 'Lie sideways'

Movements
-'Lie down into a prone position' or 'Lie down prone'
-'Lie down into a supine position' or 'Lie down supine' or 'Lie down on my back'
-'Lie down into a lateral position' or 'Lie down sideways'

Is everything ok?

I personally have nothing against "Can you lie down in a prone position?"
I can never remember which is which between 'prone' and 'supine' (not that I've ever needed to).

Has anybody got a handy mnemonic for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back