Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Is there a website offering C1 texts to use them in translation? Some books and novels are considered C1 ,but some paragraphs in these have C1 and C2 and B1 and B2 too . Any advise on how can I find C1 texts online or books that offer them so I can avoid any mistakes in choosing texts?

Is there a website offering C1 texts to use them in translation? Some books and novels are considered C1 ,but some paragraphs in these have C1 and C2 and B1 and B2 too .

You've got it all wrong. The only texts that are 'C1 texts' are those that have been specially written (or adapted) for learners.

Why do you want 'C1 texts' for your research? Why not use real, authentic texts?

You've got it all wrong. The only texts that are 'C1 texts' are those that have been specially written (or adapted) for learners.

Why do you want 'C1 texts' for your research? Why not use real, authentic texts?
To evaluate the quality of machine translation on authentic materials. Non authentic materials are written specifically for EFL learner.
How can I know if the authentic materials like newspaper or plays are C1 in other words (advanced vocabulary and phrases)

How can I know if the authentic materials like newspaper or plays are C1 in other words (advanced vocabulary and phrases)

There are a few exceptions, like stuff written for kids, but on the whole authentic materials are not graded. In a typical newspaper article, for example, you can expect lots of 'C2 level' words. Of course, that doesn't mean that every word is classed as C2 level.

Tell us exactly what you're trying to do, why, and for whom, and we'll be to advise you more usefully.

There are a few exceptions, like stuff written for kids, but on the whole authentic materials are not graded. In a typical newspaper article, for example, you can expect lots of 'C2 level' words. Of course, that doesn't mean that every word is classed as C2 level.

Tell us exactly what you're trying to do, why, and for whom, and we'll be to advise you more usefully.
Thank you so much for your comment. I want to conduct a research in translation. I want to translate advanced texts via DeepL .It is the most accurate neural machine translation as mentioned in its website and many recommend it for its precision and accuracy. I will take random C1 texts to test its effectiveness in translation from English to Arabic. Then, I will deliver the translated texts to my colleagues whose majors are Arabic to judge and evaluate the translated texts.

The question is how can I choose the best C1 texts non authentic materials (educational materials) because authentic materials are not graded as you mentioned.

I will judge the translations based on 1 human evaluation and non human evaluation

Which criteria should I use and how can the Arabic teachers will evaluate the translated texts. I will use rubric for evaluation. Should I ask them to rate the translated texts based on readability, accuracy, and fluency from 1 to 5 . 1 means poor translation and five means perfect translation. Any advise on the criteria should I use?

2 Are there websites to evaluate texts readibility, fluency, and accuracy

Thank you for helping me. I really appreciate your kindness and generosity with all members and me 🙏

For texts graded to C1, you could use those from English coursebooks, graded readers (novels specially adapted for learners) or exam materials such as the reading section of the Cambridge Advanced. But still, I'd think you'd benefit from using authentic materials of a range of different genres—conversational texts, technical texts, news, literature, etc.

As for evaluation criteria, that's tricky. You need to think about accuracy and fluency but just as important is register (Is it formal/informal/academic/slang?) and cultural appropriateness. Also, how will you deal with idioms and metaphors? I guess if I were you, I'd ask your Arabic teachers to comment on everything they can. Your 1-5 gradation scale seems too primitive for me. Leave it as open as possible.

Good luck with the work.

Is there a website offering C1 texts to use them in translation?
You should try these books:

You can see a sample of such books here:

The Time Machine, by H.G.Wells

Northanger Abbey, by Jane Austin

Frankenstein, by Mary Shelly

Three Men in a Boat, by Jerome K Jerome

They are the original English text, but with thousands of explanations in pop-up windows of old and rare words, idioms, persons and places, and many other useful info. It is very easy (just point with the mouse, and a window with an explanation pops-up).

Attachments

• TheTimeMachine.jpg
    TheTimeMachine.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 1
  • NorthangerAbbey-2.jpg
    NorthangerAbbey-2.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Frankenstein-1.jpg
    Frankenstein-1.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 1

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back