Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
I am struggling with the British RP "r" sound. To be more precise with position of tongue.
That video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wTJKj_GI_o shows that "tongue goes back in the mouth", but a book which I am learning from says:
1. Make \d\ sound, as in DO
2. As your tongue tip drops at the end of the sound, curl it back a little.
3. The tongue tip will feel like it is rising upwards towards the roof of your mouth.
This is the correct position to produce /r/ sound.

So, which way of making /r/ is correctly?

The text you quoted explains how to make a "trilled" R. The YouTube video is about an alveolar approximant R.

Last edited:
The text you quoted explains how to make a "trilled" R. The YouTube video is about an uvular R.
It can't be explanation how to make "trilled" R. The name of book which the quote is from, is "Work on your accent" Collins.
Its about RP, in RP "trilled" /r/ does not exist
I am quite confused.

Okay, now that I've tried following the instructions I understand what they're trying to get you to do.

Another approach might be to start with a sustained Polish ch sound, then move the base of the tongue back and then a little up in the throat.

Many fluent English speakers never master the postalveolar approximant /r/ but are completely comprehensible. It's not essential for understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back