English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello.

Wow, this website has changed a lot. It’s been a long time since I had access to this excellent site.
I received some helpful answers from users here several years ago.

Here is my question:
Suppose that you met a friend of yours for the first time in three years. That friend showed you a picture you two had taken three years before. Is it OK to say, “This brings me back to three years ago.”? Or should I say, “This brings me back to what we were three years ago.”?

I’d appreciate your help.

It’s been a long time since I had access to this excellent site.
Welcome back, after a 7-year absence.
Note that I've moved your thread to the appropriate section of the forum.

Is it OK to say no comma here “This brings me back to three years ago" or should I say no comma here “This brings me back to what we were three years ago no full stop here”?
Note my corrections to your punctuation above. Neither comma was needed. Don't put a full stop at the end of a sentence inside quotation marks if the sentence continues after the closing quotation marks, even if what is after the closing marks is simply a question mark.

Is it OK to say "I have a cat."? ❌
Is it OK to say "I have a cat"? ✅
I said "I'm really hungry." yesterday. ❌
I said "I'm really hungry" yesterday. ✅

Welcome back, after a 7-year absence.
Note that I've moved your thread to the appropriate section of the forum.
Thank you. I didn't know where to place my thread.

Note my corrections to your punctuation above. Neither comma was needed. Don't put a full stop at the end of a sentence inside quotation marks if the sentence continues after the closing quotation marks, even if what is after the closing marks is simply a question mark.

Is it OK to say "I have a cat."? ❌
Is it OK to say "I have a cat"? ✅
I said "I'm really hungry." yesterday. ❌
I said "I'm really hungry" yesterday. ✅
Thank you very much.
This site is really good because we can learn a lot from language experts like you.
In this case, however, my question is whether to put “what we were” or some other words before “three years ago.”
Does the sentence “This brings me back to three years ago” sound natural?
Is it grammatically correct?

So, would a correct sentence would be "This takes me back to three years ago" be correct?
Note the correct way to formulate a sentence. We don't write a statement and simply add a question mark. That's a very important thing to teach your students!
Yes, that is the correct way to say it.

So, a correct sentence would be "This takes me back to three years ago"?

I don't find that sentence unacceptable, but I do find "This takes me back to three years ago" less natural than, say:

This takes me back three years.
This takes me back to 2021.
This takes me back to how things were three years ago.
This takes me back to what things were like three years ago.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back