books have been an important element in human history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

anise

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
1. As far as storing information is concerned, books have been an important element in human history.

Books --> element or Books --> elements ?

2. While there is still hunger, poverty, and illiteracy on Earth, ...

"There is" or "There are" ? which one is correct?

1. It would be hard indeed to disagree with that statement. I don't understand what you are trying to say or ask with those arrows.

2. Some people may argue for "there are" but in fact both "is" and "are" are commonly used in such sentences.

1. As far as storing information is concerned, books have been an important element in human history.

Books --> element or Books --> elements?

"There is" or "There are"? Which one is correct?

Please see the part I have underlined and marked in blue. It doesn't mean anything. It certainly isn't a way to ask us a grammar question. Please construct a full sentence/question, making it clear what you want to know.

With number 2, I'd use "There are" if I were speaking formally or were bothered about grammatical correctness, and "There's" in normal day-to-day speech.

anise wants to know whether to use the singular an important element or the plural important elements.

If you're asking whether books have been important elements, I would stick to the singular.

Should "element" match the subject "books" as a plural noun? I mean, is "books have been the important elements in human history" correct?

"There is" or "There are" ? Which one is correct?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back