Because/so

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was more abstract. And "more simpler" is not correct. No, they don't have the same meaning. I explained that to you many posts ago.

No.
I hate you because you broke my heart. Current, past.
I hate you because you are an insufferable jerk. Current, current.
I hate you because you are leaving me. Current, future.

I don't understand why you said current, future, past but I guess I'm wrong.

And "more simpler" is not correct.

I just seen that. Thanks.

"I just saw that."

You said you thought they had the same time order. I'm showing you the the cause can come before, during, or after a consequence. I have no idea what you're asking if that doesn't answer your question.

You said you thought they had the same time order. I'm showing you the the cause can come before, during, or after a consequence. I have no idea what you're asking if that doesn't answer your question.

I think you're right but now I think "before" and "so" can be replaced by "when", "before", and "after". What do y'all think about that? and I'm not saying I'm right.

I don't understand why you said current, future, past but I guess I'm wrong.

The hate is current, but the event/reason for it could be past present or future. The heartbreak was in the past, but the person still hates the other. If the hate has finished, you would use hated, which implies that the speaker no longer hates them.

Thanks for replying but what do you think about post 26?

I think you should stop this line of inquiry because you are wrong.

I think you should stop this line of inquiry because you are wrong.

Can you tell me why it's wrong? And this will be the last question.

I think you're right but now I think "before" and "so" can be replaced by "when", "before", and "after". What do y'all think about that? and I'm not saying I'm right.

Please rewrite all those sentences, replacing "before" and "so", with "when", "before" and "after" and then we'll comment.

I will copy Barb_D's sentences.

I hate you because/after/when you broke my heart. Current, past.

I hate you because/when/after you are an insufferable jerk. Current, current.

I hate you because/before/when you are leaving me. Current, future.

I'm not saying I'm right but it looks ok to me.

What do you think?

I can't imagine any native speaker uttering such sentences.

Some people might not say it like that but I think it makes sense. Don't it? And you erased the other words.

I hate you after you broke my heart.

I hate you when you are an insufferable jerk.

I hate you when you are leaving me.

What do you think about that?

This will probably be the last post and thanks for all the replies and trying to help.

Last edited:
I hate you after you broke my heart. (This doesn't work for me)

I hate you when you are an insufferable jerk. (This one is fine)

I hate you when you are leaving me. (This would only work if they split up and get back together repeatedly)

I hate you because you broke my heart. :tick:
I hated you after you broke my heart. :tick:
I hate you after you broke my heart. :cross:

Now I think each, so and because, have time so "because and so" can happen at any time. Right?

I'm closing this thread. Do I hear a chorus of 'Not before time!'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back