Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think because can be replaced by after and so can be replaced by before. Am I right?

No. Try posting a few sentences, then make your suggested replacements. You'll see they won't work.

I think "because" can be replaced by "after" and "so" can be replaced by "before". Am I right?
I thought you understood the use of quotation marks/inverted commas.

I think in some cases it can like "I hit you because/after you hit me" and "you hurt me so/before I hate you."

Am I right?

Last edited:
No. "Because" deals with the cause; "after" deals with the time. In the second, "so" deals with consequence; "before" doesn't work there.

Does it still have the same meaning?

I'm not sure which one you're asking about, but it doesn't matter, because none of them have the same meaning.

Which one?

I was talking about both. It does sound wrong but to me both of them have the same time order. What do you think?

They don't have the same meaning. Why are you arguing?

If I was arguing, I would've said you're wrong and I'm right but I didn't and now I asked if both have the same time order.

Is anybody going to answer if they have the same time order?

I think everything we do happens with time so I think "after" and "because" have the same time order and "before" and "so" have the same time order.

I think you can say "I hate you because/after you hurt me." and "you hurt me so/before I hate you."

Do you understand now?

See Mike's answer, in post #5.

See Mike's answer, in post #5.

I understand his answer and I agree but when you do something, it happens with time. I'm not saying I'm right but I want to know what y'all think about that.

I think I finally understand. It is obvious that "the hate" came after "the hurt". Is that what you wanted?

Thanks for finally understanding. So do you agree or what do you think about that? Does it have almost the same picture?

It took me a while because I really didn't think anybody would question that.

What does "picture" mean there?

"Picture" means "meaning" and I said that word because I thought it would be simpler and less abstract.

Last edited:
No.
I hate you because you broke my heart. Current, past.
I hate you because you are an insufferable jerk. Current, current.
I hate you because you are leaving me. Current, future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back