Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
i found from the dictionary
I crossed the street to avoid meeting him, but he saw me and came running towards me.

Firelord said:
i found from the dictionary
I crossed the street to avoid meeting him, but he saw me and came running towards me.

Yes, that's correct. The verb "avoid" can take a gerund (seeing) as a complement, but it cannot take an infinitive (to see). :wink:

red rose said:
Ithink seeing is the correct answer ...isnt it?

Yes, it is. One simply cannot "avoid to see" somebody.

:(

Silentium said:
RonBee said:
red rose said:

:shock: I thought the answer was "to see". this proves how poor my English is lol :oops:

This, too, can be overcome. Welcome to UsingEnglish. :hi:

MikeNewYork said:
Silentium said:
RonBee said:
red rose said:

:shock: I thought the answer was "to see". this proves how poor my English is lol :oops:

This, too, can be overcome. Welcome to UsingEnglish. :hi:
First I thought that it's "avoid seeing her". Then I checked in the dictionary and found out that I was right. Great! My English is not that bad at all.

Hi, Yulia; you were right. It's a common mistake, as you can see in the voting, which is why it is tested so regularly in exams. ;-)

Don't avoid using a gerund.;-)

tdol said:
Don't avoid using a gerund.;-)

Provided you know how to use it correctly. I, myself, sometimes don't know was what I've just said correct or not, but absolutely sure that I make lots of mistakes. :(

All learners make mistakes- it's through making mistakes that we come to learn the correct forms.;-)

tdol said:
All learners make mistakes- it's through making mistakes that we come to learn the correct forms.;-)

Thanks, veru encouraging. It let you think that if you are really eager about doing something, you can do that! :p

tdol said:

What will be correct: It lets you, or It let you? :?

yulia said:
tdol said:

I let you
She lets you
He lets you
It lets you

We let you
They let you

:D

Casiopea said:
yulia said:
tdol said:

I let you
She lets you
He lets you
It lets you

We let you
They let you

The reason why I asked is that "let" is the modal verb and for most of the modal verbs you cannot add "s" at the end.

:?

yulia said:
Casiopea said:
yulia said:
tdol said:

I let you
She lets you
He lets you
It lets you

We let you
They let you

The reason why I asked is that "let" is the modal verb and for most of the modal verbs you cannot add "s" at the end.

:?

If it is used in the past tense, it would be let in all the instances Cas cited.

:)

I'm like a dog with two tails

I got the correct answer.However, the members above had explained the
rule needn't to add.

see you around!

Back