[General] At the time of leaving organisation

Status
Not open for further replies.
1)It has been a wonderful experience of working here.

What would be the present simple form of the above sentence?

2) I had wonderful experience of working here.

I understand the sentence no 2 is wrong. Am I correct?

1)It has been a wonderful experience [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] working here. (Omit "of".)

What would be the present simple form of the above sentence?

It is a wonderful experience working here.

2) I had a wonderful experience [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] working here. (Again, omit "of".)

I understand [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] sentence no 2 is wrong. Am I correct?

Your version of 2 was incorrect. I have corrected it.

See above, in red.

1)It has been a wonderful experience of working here.

2) I had a wonderful experience of working here.

Do both the sentences convey the same meaning? Can we use the above sentences at the time of leaving organization? I understand first sentence is more appropriate but can use 2nd one also. Am I correct?

Is " of " is incorrect or redundant here?

Last edited:
ems deleted 'of' in both those sentences in post #25.

It's incorrect. If it had been redundant, I would have said so. If I simply cross out a word, it's because it shouldn't be there.

2) I had a wonderful experience of working here. (Again, omit "of".)
'Of' should be omitted because 'working' is a present participle modifying 'I'.
It can be rewritten as 'Working here, I had a wonderful experience.'

Am I right or wrong?

'Of' should be omitted because 'working' is a present participle modifying 'I'.
It can be rewritten as 'Working here, I had a wonderful experience.'

Am I right or wrong?

Does it mean that we don't use preposition before present participle?

We can:

He joined the army on leaving school.
Always knock before entering.
I have little experience of working with children.

I had a wonderful experience ofworking here.

Why "of" is not correct above?

Does it mean that we don't use preposition before present participle?
I consider the ing-form of a verb used after a preposition to be a gerund instead of a present participle.

I think the other two are also gerunds because they are used after a preposition.

I would not say it is wrong but it is redundant and unnatural.

1. I have little experience of working with children.
2. It was my first experience of living alone.
3. Nothing will prepare you for the jaw-dropping experience of taking the desert road out of the city for the first time.

Is this only I who doesn't deem these three to sound quite unnatural?

If not, then what is it that makes the OP's "of" redundant and the sentence with it unnatural?

This is very interesting indeed. Still, I am among those who wouldn't use "of" in the OP's example; but I cannot say for sure why.

Last edited:
1. I have little experience of working with children.
2. It was my first experience of living alone.
3. Nothing will prepare you for the jaw-dropping experience of taking the desert road out of the city for the first time.

Is this only I who doesn't deem these three to sound quite unnatural?

If not, then what is it that makes the OP's "of" redundant and the sentence with it unnatural?

This is very interesting indeed. Still, I am among those who wouldn't use "of" in the OP's example; but I cannot say for sure why.

For me, I think the reason the OP's sentence works either with or without the "of", is because it has so many meanings that at least one of them will fit. But as MikeNewYork said, it's not needed in that sentence. http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/of

I tend to think of, "I had a wonderful experience of working here" as really being used to mean, "I had a wonderful experience while working here", which is why the "of" isn't necessary. The word "working", set in this context, contains the implied meaning of "while working".

In the three sentences you have listed, the "of" is vital to maintaining the intended meaning.

"I had a wonderful experience while working here", which is why the "of" isn't necessary.
I think it is similar to 'I had a wonderful dream (while) sleeping on a bus', where 'of' should not be used.

I think it is similar to 'I had a wonderful dream (while) sleeping on a bus', where 'of' should not be used.
I understand what you mean, Matthew.

Yet, one may dream of doing something such as dancing in the rain or sleeping on a bus. Why not? ;-)
So, strickly speaking, we cannot say that "of" does not collocate with "dream" at all. In your example, that would only change the meaning, and significantly so.

Last edited:
A sleep-deprived person may very well do so.

That is interesting, by the way, how "dream about..." is different from "dream of...".

Not a teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back