ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
Translation is not refundable. Fiasco!

Could you explain what it's supposed to mean?

I mean my failure with a translation quote.

What is the translation about being poked with a knife supposed to mean?

Oh! Forgive me for stupidity.I just can not properly formulate a sentence in English. May be i`ll post the Russian text?:roll::oops: Or again will try to the automatic translation. `This is where you seen a kind to live person (or human) a knife to shove (either to poke, or poke in). And maybe so: `this is where such`? I don`t know.

Hello skotopes:

To come back to the original theme of the thread, you could say "There's life in the old dog yet" with the same meaning as still powder in the flask.

`This is where you seen a kind to live person (or human) a knife to shove (either to poke, or poke in). And maybe so: `this is where such`? I don`t know.
Still meaningless, I'm afraid.

For Probus. Thank you very much. I understand.

For Fivejedjon. This is not such a reaction,wich expected! It is harmless , jocular expression! Probably extracted out of context it sounds like it is not clear.:)

re: "there still gunpowder in the flasks" and "there is life in the old dog yet"

Yes, you might hear this in the US, but rarely used by people under 60.

Those expressions are used to mean that an older man is still virile.

:lol:

In the 'still virile' sense, a Br Eng expression - not for use in polite society ;-) - is 'he's still got lead [/led/] in his pencil'.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back