As you open the door of the villa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alpa, is the staircase in the picture like the one you saw? (It's beautiful!)

Please correct my mistakes.

As you open the door of the villa, you encounter a spacious living room with a lofty and extensively decorated ceiling. Two chandeliers hang from the ceiling in the main hall giving the place a stylish and sophisticated view. There're a few classic paintings on the walls whose creators are among the most dexterous and talented artists of the twentieth century. The enormous and spotless windows have fine views of a splendid natural scenery. A majestic mirror which contains a gold frame with an intricate and contemporary design stands in the corner. In the center of the room a wide staircase made of polished wood leads to the upper-ground chambers.

Please correct my mistakes.

As you open the door of the villa, you encounter a spacious living room with a lofty and extensively decorated ceiling. Two chandeliers hang from the ceiling in the main hall giving the place a stylish and sophisticated view. There are a few classic paintings on the walls whose creators are among the most dexterous and talented artists of the twentieth century. The enormous and spotless windows have fine views of a splendid natural scenery. A majestic mirror which contains a gold frame with an intricate and contemporary design stands in the corner. In the center of the room a wide staircase made of polished wood leads to the upper-ground chambers.

Pretty good.

"There're" is not a real contraction in my opinion, because it is not easier to say than "there are". (Maybe harder.)

Please forgive me for using inversion again: "On the walls are a few classic paintings, whose creators are among the most distinguished artists of the twentieth century."

All "there is" and "there are" have been removed from the description.

How about:

The walls are adorned with wonderful artwork.

A majestic mirror which contains a gold frame with an intricate and contemporary design stands in the corner.
Inversion again: "In a corner stands a majestic mirror in a gold frame with an intricate, contemporary design."

... a wide staircase made of polished wood leads to the [STRIKE]upper-[/STRIKE][STRIKE]ground[/STRIKE][STRIKE] chambers[/STRIKE] upstairs rooms.
.:)

Last edited:
The enormous and spotless windows have fine views of a splendid natural scenery.
The crystal clear picture windows command magnificent views of natural scenery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back