Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
Is there any way in British English to refer to the people coming from the countryside, who show impolite and odd behaviours?

Many thanks.

People coming from the country who have little experience of the joys and sophistication of urban life may be regarded as 'yokels'.

Just because a person may be, or may be called, a hick, does not mean that they are impolite or that they exhibit odd behavior. A hick means that a person is not urban and not interested in artistic ideas or overly complex situations.

Thanks. And, sure you're right. I personally don't believe in such a thing. But I gave that definition just to show what kind of behaviour I had in mind. Maybe bacause the Cambridge dictionary says, 'a hick...considered to be stupid and without experience'.

Thank you again for the point you have made. :)

(Country) yokels are unsophisticated, but not necessarily stupid. Country bumpkins are unsophisticated and stupid. Both expresions are used humorously and/or disapprovingly, and are used only when talking about such people, not to them.

People coming from the country who have little experience of the joys and sophistication of urban life may be regarded as 'yokels'.

Thanks a lot! Would 'bumpkin' mean the same?

It may be somewhat irrelevant, but the OP's question brought to mind the "famous" lines from Dallas (I loved the TV series), which I would like to share with you :):up:

Cally: I'm aiming to kick the hayseed out of my voice and shine up my manners.

Miss Ellie: There is nothing wrong with who you are.

---------------

hayseed: an unsophisticated person from a rural area; yokel; hick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back