Analysts said that suggested Fortescue was slowing down ...

KMA8622

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Australia
Hi.

Could you help me to understand how I should understand the “suggested” is grammatically used in the following sentence?

Analysts said that suggested Fortescue was slowing down the speed of its hydrogen development but on Thursday, it reaffirmed its commitment to the sector.

Note my corrections above. Please particularly note my change to your thread title. Titles should be unique, relevant to your thread, and contain some/all of the words/phrases you're asking us about. Single-word titles are rarely sufficient and "grammar" is completely useless as it could be the title of 80% of the threads on the forum!

It's an error. It should read either "Analysts said that Fortescue ..." or "Analysts suggested Fortescue ...". I suspect either the writer wrote both, planning to choose between them later but forgot to do so, or an editor wanted to change "said that" to "suggested" and failed to delete the former.

That is not an error.

The paragraph before it says:
"Last week, Fortescue announced it would shed 4.5% of its global workforce and said it was unlikely to meet 2030 targets for green hydrogen production. The cuts also come as the price of iron ore, Fortescue's main profit driver, is forecast to fall back below $100 a tonne."

Analysts said that suggested Fortescue was slowing down the speed of its hydrogen development but on Thursday, it reaffirmed its commitment to the sector.

Thus, "that" refers to the challenging situation for the company as outlined above in that paragraph.

Read it as Analysts said (that) that (situation) suggested (that) Fortescue was slowing down the speed ...

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back