Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
1.She is an evil, ugly woman.
2. She is an ugly, evil woman.

To me the order of the adjectives in the first example sounds better, am I correct? Why is it better? Please correct. The examples are mine.

No matter how you put it, it's a pretty dismal view!
Both sentences convey the same message as far as I'm concerned.

Since they are both the speaker's opinion, the usual order of adjectives doesn't help (opinion always comes first but there's no specific order within that). We can only go by what sounds "better" (subjective).
I prefer "ugly, evil".

I think it simply depends on which word you want to say first. I don't think either way 'sounds better' than the other.

I think it simply depends on which word you want to say first. I don't think either way 'sounds better' than the other.
That's why I said it was subjective. Some people will prefer one word order and some will prefer the other.

That's why I said it was subjective. Some people will prefer one word order and some will prefer the other.

I mean I don't think it's subjective. It depends on which word you want to say first. In other words, it depends on the context of what you want to say.

It may be, for example, that 'evil' comes to mind before 'ugly', or vice versa.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back