According to the paragraphs given, is it a suitable question and answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi teachers,
According to the paragraphs below, is this a suitable question and answer?
Why did Felix say no to Adam’s suggestion?
Because that wasn't right.

We questioned all his friends early this morning, Adam said. They said nothing. He looked at Felix. Can we bring some of them n there? With their wives. Then we can ask more… difficult questions. Somebody usually talks then.

No, Felix said coldly. That’s not right, and you know it.

Thanks in advance.

Hi teachers,
According to the paragraphs below, is this a suitable question and answer?
Why did Felix say no to Adam’s suggestion?
Because that wasn't right.

We questioned all his friends early this morning, Adam said. They said nothing. He looked at Felix. Can we bring some of them n there? With their wives. Then we can ask more… difficult questions. Somebody usually talks then.

No, Felix said coldly. That’s not right, and you know it.

Thanks in advance.

Your question is fine, but I think a better response would be "He said "No" to Adam's suggestion because he didn't think that Adam's suggestion was right". There is just something rather terse and unnatural about "Because that wasn't right". You could accept the response "Because it wasn't right" where "it" refers to the suggestion.

Edit: I've just reread the piece and I'm a little confused. I don't necessarily think that it's Adam's suggestion that's "not right". I think it's that Felix thinks that the behaviour he's suggesting is not right (ie acceptable). He doesn't think it's right/acceptable/fair to bring in the people with their wives and ask them difficult questions.

Last edited:
Hi,
Thank you for your reply. What about this answer, 'He felt that it would not be right to use such tactics.', to the question, 'Why did Felix say no to Adam’s suggestion?'

L54

That's a great answer, especially if your students are able to come up with it!

That's a great answer, especially if your students are able to come up with it!

Hi,
Thank you for your reply. No, they won't be able to come up with this answer. I just will give it as another or more elaborated possibility. Of course, this will give further discussions, which is what I always look for.

L54

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back