Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I remember I knew the word for it, but for the life of me I can't recall it.

What do you call obsolete and outdated concepts that are still in popular use? Like dialing a number, even though nobody dials any number anymore with the invention of the smartphone.

Last edited:
I don't know the answer there. "Rolling up the windows" in a car is another phrase that is outdated.

Nobody dials a number because of the invention of the touchtone phone, not the smartphone.

Antiquated or outdated may be what you are looking for. Obsolete is another possibility.

And people still use ‘carbon copy’ as a metaphor for the noun ‘duplicate’ although nobody uses carbon paper nowadays.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, there's like a proper term for this kind of words. They're not antiquated, obsolete or outdated because they're actually still widely used; it's just that their origin and the core idea behind them are so old they no longer make sense at face value.

archaism?

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't know "
No, there's like a proper term for THESE KINDS of words. They're not antiquated, obsolete or outdated because they're actually still widely used; it's just that their origin and the core idea behind them are so old they no longer make sense at face value.
I don't think people use "dialed" much anymore. We call people.

Archaisms aren't used anymore. Anachronisms don't fit the time period.

What I mean is words that are old and no longer make sense literally, but are still commonly used and understood.

Another example I could give is carbon copy. Making a duplicate of a document by using carbon paper no longer happens these days, but we still use the term (and it's abbreviation CC) when sending electronic mail.

Could you perhaps be thinking of "legacy"?

[QUOTE="Glizdka, post: 1936293, member: 698269"

Another example I could give is carbon copy.

As I said in post number 3. But carbon copy is very rarely or never used as a verb. It's a noun only.

What do you call obsolete and outdated concepts that are still in popular use? Like dialing a number, even though nobody dials any number anymore with the invention of the smartphone.
fossilized expressions

As I said in post number 3. But carbon copy is very rarely or never used as a verb. It's a noun only.
I've somehow completely missed that. Sorry.

The word I'm looking for is perhaps a form of skeuomorphism in language (a skeuonomer?), or maybe a shade of metonymy that utilizes temporal familiarity.

Last edited:
Semantic relic?

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back