Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

I'm trying to describe a situation where someone is "lost in his thoughts" and then another person does something and "brings him to reality".

I know "bring to reality" doesn't work but what is a verb I can use instead of it in this sentence?

I was lost in my thoughts, I was brought to reality as my daughter stroked my back and said, let's go.

If you don't mind using the passive voice you could say "My reverie was interrupted."

If you don't mind using the passive voice you could say "My reverie was interrupted."

That is great man! It's exactly what I needed.:up:

What are some other options if I need to repeat in in another way?

The original would be more natural as "brought back to reality". An alternative (BrE) is "brought back down to earth [with a bump]".

Hello.

I'm trying to describe a situation where someone is "lost in thought" and then another person does something and [STRIKE]"[/STRIKE]brings him to reality[STRIKE]"[/STRIKE].

I know "bring to reality" doesn't work but what is a verb I can use instead of it in this sentence?

I was lost in thought, but I snapped out of it when my daughter tapped my shoulder and said, "Let's go."
That's how I'd say it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back