Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Please correct me in terms of grammatical errors

Part-one

Both hands resting on the railing of the window and glancing out, Arnold had a splendid view of the dazzling blue, cloudless sky. The sun, though was not in its full glow and was in the process of emerging yet, looked gorgeous; it was a fabulous morning. He, as usual, breathed in fresh, pollution-free, morning breeze. Today, Arnold was to appear for an interview in a renowned consultancy organization and was optimistic enough to be employed there since having worked successfully for three different organizations previously, he had no doubt on his skills and value. He always looked for new opportunities and challenges. Perhaps being extremely demanding in terms of salary and other perks, Arnold never worried about resigning his present job and got out for a better one.

Part-one

Both hands resting on the railing (the horizontal bars of the window are called transoms)of the window and glancing out, Arnold had a splendid view of the dazzling blue, cloudless sky. The sun, though [STRIKE][STRIKE]was[/STRIKE][/STRIKE] not in its full glow and was in the process of emerging [STRIKE][STRIKE]yet[/STRIKE][/STRIKE], looked gorgeous; it was a fabulous morning. He, as usual, breathed in the fresh, pollution-free, morning breeze. Today, Arnold was to appear for an interview [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] at a renowned consultancy organization and was optimistic enough to be employed there. Since having worked successfully for three different organizations previously, he had no doubt [STRIKE][STRIKE][STRIKE]on [/STRIKE][/STRIKE][/STRIKE] about his skills and value (worth). He always looked for new opportunities and challenges. Perhaps being extremely demanding in terms of salary and other perks, Arnold never worried about resigning his present job and got out for a better one.

Yes, emsr2d2

In that case, tedmc's suggestion of "transom" isn't appropriate. I'd start with "Both hands resting on the railings outside the window ..."

The original sentence seemed to suggest the railing was part of the window, which it is not. A transom is a horizontal bar across the window opening which one can rest the hands on. It is unusual and unnecessary to have a railing outside a window. A railing is usually installed at the edge of a balcony.

Leaving transoms aside, there are many other things that need work:

Perhaps being extremely demanding in terms of salary and other perks, Arnold never worried about resigning his present job and got out for a better one.

This sentence needs a complete rewrite.

The original sentence seemed to suggest the railing was part of the window, which it is not. A transom is a horizontal bar across the window opening which one can rest the hands on. It is unusual and unnecessary to have a railing outside a window. A railing is usually installed at the edge of a balcony.

That might be the case but the OP said that the image in my link was what he/she was talking about.

The sun was not in its full glow?

Yes Tarheel, that is what I meant to express.

Part-one

Both hands resting on the railing of the window [STRIKE]and glancing out[/STRIKE], Arnold had a splendid view of the dazzling blue, cloudless sky.

Too many words! (I'm sure you don't mean the hands were glancing out.)

I suggest that you write shorter, simpler sentences. (You have to walk before you can run.)

Finally, say:

Please correct my text.

Or:

Please find the mistakes and suggest corrections.

The sun, [STRIKE]though[/STRIKE] was not in its full glow and was in the process of emerging yet, looked gorgeous; it was a fabulous morning.

I'm not at all sure what you mean by either "not in its full glow" or "in the process of emerging" there. Perhaps you could make it clearer what you mean.

Today, Arnold was to appear for an interview in a renowned consultancy organization and was optimistic enough to be employed there since having worked successfully for three different organizations previously, he had no doubt on his skills and value. He always looked for new opportunities and challenges. Perhaps being extremely demanding in terms of salary and other perks, Arnold never worried about resigning his present job and got out for a better one.

We'll call this the second paragraph. Unfortunately, it's confused and confusing. Apparently, Arnold was going for a job interview and was confident he would be hired.

I suggest a complete rewrite.

Tarheel,

I attempted to say that though the sun had come out, but the intensity of heat and brightness of it was not there since it had just began to rise.

Tarheel:

Is it better?

Both hands resting on the railing of the window, Arnold glanced out and viewed
dazzling blue, cloudless sky.

Tdol

Perhaps being extremely demanding in terms of salary and other perks, Arnold never worried about resigning his present job and got out for a better one.

I would appreciate if you could please rephrase the above mentioned sentence since I cannot find out any mistakes.

Last edited:
Tdol

I would appreciate if you could please rephrase the above mentioned sentence since I cannot find out any mistakes.

It is not so much the grammar but the sentence which doesn't make much sense.

1. Arnold was in a position to ask for high salaries (demanding)
Ask from who? His current or prospective employer?

2. Arnold is not worried about resigning.
No one is worried about resigning but people worry about getting dismissed.
Resigning is a voluntary decision. How does his being able to ask for a high salary related to his worry about resigning.

3. Arnold is not worried about not getting a better job.
This is related to Arnold resigning.

It is not clear what you are trying.to say. Some clarification is required to undertand what you have in mind.

Last edited:
Quitting his present job?

tedmc:
1. Arnold was demanding in terms of salary and perks from the prospective employer.
2. Since Arnold was an skilled and talented person, he had enough confidence and courage to think that if he resigned his current job he would surely get a better job in terms of salary and other benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back