Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Please correct me in terms of grammar and vocabulary. It is just for writing practice.

It turned out to be a horrible day yesterday for me as all went wrong since morning. First, the rusty and dilapidated tap of my bathroom broke down and the streaming water oozed out of the hole which had showed up because of the broken tap. The gushing water spread all over the bathroom which rapidly got into a pool and in no time, it brimmed out of the four inches cemented fence fixed on the entrance of the bathroom and entered the adjacent dining room. I rushed towards the balcony to shut down the main valve fitted there to prevent water from entering the dining room adjoining the bathroom, but unfortunately my effort failed. The gushing water had already seeped through my precious Iranian carpet and almost soaked it which I had laid a couple of weeks ago. Later, I called the plumber to do the repairing job.

During that turmoil I had phoned my boss twice to inform him about the problem and also to be late to attend my office; however, in response, I could easily sense the reluctance of my boss in believing my account. Bluntly, he instructed me to get to the office as soon as possible. I humbly acknowledged.

The violent shaking of my tummy kept reminding me that I had not eaten anything since last night. I shoveled in few toasts and donned my crinkled clothes since I had no time to iron them; Wasting no time, I immediately left my house. As someone very rightly said “Troubles don't come alone, they like to arrive in groups”, and it was exactly what had been happening to me that day; To my horror, despite rigorous efforts my motorcycle won’t start. Tired of trying to kick-start it my leg got numb.

Dejectedly, I gave up and decided to take it to the nearby mechanic shop. The mechanic, like me, tried hard to get it going and finally found the plug being faulty and replaced it with new one. I, hurriedly started the motorcycle but to my dismay I had hardly traveled a kilometer or so, it stopped again. Cursing my fate, I again found myself busy to kick-start it but it won’t budge. Thinking what could be the problem, I nonchalantly checked its fuel tank. Shockingly, it was drained. Not forgetting to praise my wisdom that worked timely, I dragged my motorcycle now in search of a fuel pump and at last found it after about fifteen minutes of dragging. I was appallingly sweating under the scorching sun.

During all this nuisance, my boss called me twice to inquire where I was. Summarizing my agony, I meekly assured him that I was not far from the office. I had no doubt in my mind that my boss even after reprimanding me would not let me leave office till I have disposed of all the files to recompense the time lapsed during the day. That exactly what happened when I got there. A pile of files was waiting for me on the table to work on. Trying to forget the day’s miseries I lowered my head to deal with those files to avoid the tirade from my boss, the next day.

By "concocted account" I take it to mean it's fictional

For the first sentence, try;

It was a horrible day yesterday. Everything went wrong, starting in the morning.

Perhaps instead of the water going into the sink it sprayed out of the broken tap and went all over the bathroom.

Yes Tarheel, it's fictional and just meant to know how well or badly I have written.

Yes Tarheel, it's fictional and I just want to see how I'm doing with my writing.

Well, it's pretty long, so I can't say how long it will take me to finish.

Later, I called the plumber to do the repair[STRIKE]ing[/STRIKE] job.

When is later?

You need to write shorter, simpler sentences. Use fewer words.

Tarheel, please take your time and correct it para-wise.

Liberal with adverbs and adjectives, the prose is almost unreadable. Say what you mean!

Perhaps;

I called my boss and told him what had happened. He told me to get to the office as soon as possible.

It is just a description of a man who has faced ordeal during the day and my basic purpose of writing this fabricated account is to see whether I have written correct grammar and used appropriate vocabulary?

It is just a description of a man who has a bad day, and my basic purpose of writing this fabricated account is to see if I am using correct grammar and [STRIKE]used[/STRIKE] appropriate vocabulary.

You use too many modifiers (adjectives and adverbs). Also, you need to write shorter, simpler sentences.

Perhaps:

The sounds coming from my stomach reminded me that I hadn't eaten the previous night. I quickly ate a few slices of toast.

Perhaps:

I put on wrinkled clothes. (I had had no time to iron them.)

Other than the excessive use of modifiers, have I described the story correct in terms of tenses?

Other than the excessive use of modifiers, have I described the story correctly in terms of tenses?

I have noticed a problem with consistency in that area.

Try:

Wasting no time, I immediately left the house.

(First, do you see the irony there? Two, although that's an improvement over the other one, you don't need that sentence at all.)

Try:

I went outside and got on my motorcycle and tried to start it.

(Note the use of "tried" here. It indicates you were unsuccessful.)

Then:

I tried and tried and tried and and nothing happened.

Thank you, Tarheel.
Tarheel, I can't find Thank or like button on my page. Please help.

hatimhussain, are you using the mobile site or a computer? Sometimes those buttons aren't visible on a mobile site but you should be able to see them on any browser on a desktop/laptop.

They're in a grey bar underneath every post.

Screenshot 2019-12-30 at 17.49.31.jpg

Screenshot 2019-12-30 at 17.47.38.png

user-offline.png

I am using a computer. When I use my office computer the page of forum "Editing & Writing Topics", appears with different look and the buttons of "Thank and Like" are there as compared to the same page when opened at my home computer the same page not only has different look but also the buttons mentioned, are missing. I am confused. Please tell me.

user-offline.png

I am using a computer. When I use my office computer the page of forum "Editing & Writing Topics", appears with a different look and the buttons of "Thank and Like" are there as compared to the same page when opened at my home computer the same page not only has different look but also the buttons mentioned, are missing. I am confused. Please help me.

Sometimes stuff happens, and those things don't show up. (It has happened to me.)
:)

(If you follow my advice you will be less likely to write those long sentences that are really two sentences run into each other.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back