Women usually well dress and make up themselves before going out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I was chatting with some friends online. Emily muted herself. I was wondering if should join us so I called her, she said she was going to take a shower and then do some makeup and pick a dress and do a series of things because she was going out with her boyfriend.

I wrote the following sentence to express the idea:

Women usually well dress and make up themselves before going out.

I don't think the italic expression is natural at all. Can you tell me what native speakers would say in this context?

I was chatting with some friends online. Emily muted herself. I was wondering if she should join us so I called her. She said she was going to take a shower and then put on some makeup and pick out a dress and do a series of things because she was going out with her boyfriend.

I wrote the following sentence to express the idea:

Women usually get dressed and put on makeup before going out.

I don't think the italic expression is natural at all. Can you tell me what native speakers would say in this context?
I suppose you could say they make themselves up, but I might want to talk to my usage consultant on that one.

How about:
Women usually dress up and make up before going out?

"Well dress" is unnatural. Use "dress well". "Make up" as a verb is also somewhat unnatural. Use "make themselves up" or "apply makeup" or "check their makeup". Even the word makeup is somewhat ambiguous. Some people use makeup to refer to any and all facial cosmetics, for example lipstick, eyeliner and eye shadow. More strictly, perhaps, makeup is only the base coating that covers blemishes.

Last edited:
I'd use "get dressed up and put makeup on".

"Get dressed up" makes it clear they're putting on clothes that are special in some way, not just their everyday/work clothes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back