what is the person who wears the costume of cartoon characters in front of restaurant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
what is the person who wears the costume of cartoon characters in front of restaurants to attract people? a clown

What is the person who wears the costume of cartoon characters in front of restaurants to attract people, a clown?

No, unless they are dressed as a clown.

I'm not sure there is a specific name, we generally just call them by whatever character they're dressed as - i.e. man in a chicken suit.

In some cases, we call them mascots, but I don't know that that would necessarily work in all circumstances.

Based on one definition of the noun "tout" (a person who solicits business in a brazen way), I think "tout" would work.

​What [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] do we call [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a person who wears the costume of cartoon characters in front of restaurants to attract people? A clown?

Note my changes above, marked in red.

The downside of "tout" as a noun is that many of us have never heard it used that way.

I'd use "mascot" I think. Or, as said above, "the giant chicken" or "the Statue of Liberty" standing out there.

Perhaps if enough touts tout tout, it'd catch on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back