There is a supermarket beside/next to my house.

teacherjapan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
What is the difference between “beside” and “next to”? Which are you most likely to use in this sentence?

There is a supermarket beside/next to my house.

In that context, they mean the same. I'd use "next to" in that specific sentence.

Note that I've improved your thread title. Please use the example sentence as the title. Your actual question should appear only in the main body of the post.

It's an interesting question. Supposedly they mean the same thing. However, in your example I would invariably say "next to". Also, somebody who lives nearby might live next door, but it wouldn't occur me to say they live beside me.

Sometimes either one is possible. For example, I might say "Sit here next to me" or "Sit here beside me".

It's an interesting question. Supposedly they mean the same thing. However, in your example I would invariably say "next to". Also, somebody who lives nearby might live next door, but it wouldn't occur me to say they live beside me.

Sometimes either one is possible. For example, I might say "Sit here next to me" or "Sit here beside me".
Probably because “beside” sounds a bit formal in a situation like this?

This is probably because “beside” sounds a bit formal in a situation like this. Am I right?
Your sentence starting "Probably" wasn't grammatically complete and it wasn't a question so the closing question mark was inappropriate. I don't think it's got anything to do with formality - it's just that sometimes a word ends up being used more frequently than another word that means the same thing. It also has to do with "my house". As Tarheel said, before "me", I'd be equally likely to use "beside" and "next to".

Your sentence starting "Probably" wasn't grammatically complete and it wasn't a question so the closing question mark was inappropriate. I don't think it's got anything to do with formality - it's just that sometimes a word ends up being used more frequently than another word that means the same thing. It also has to do with "my house". As Tarheel said, before "me", I'd be equally likely to use "beside" and "next to".
I see. That’s a very interesting observation. Thank you so much.

Back