Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
The two-story house that had a beautiful front yard was sold $300,000.

Which of the following sentence is grammatically correct and more idiomatic if I rewrite the above sentence:
1. The two-story house having a beautiful front yard was sold $300,000.
2.The two-story house with a beautiful front yard was sold $300,000.

What is the source of the original sentence? It lacks a word after 'sold' — a mistake you have repeated.

Which of the following sentences is grammatically correct and more idiomatic if I rewrite the above sentence it?

#2 is more natural.

NOTE: American English two-story = British English two-storey and in this context, AE front yard = BE front garden.

I tried to write "storey", but my spell checker objected.
😊

That's because you've got your spellchecker set to American English. Mine makes no such objection.
I know. It didn't do it this time. (This spell checker is a quitter. 😊)

I know that. In fact, my phone often suggests things. Sometimes I accept those suggestions, and sometimes I do not.

Sorry for causing confusion.

My question is that in another sentence like:

The lady who lives next to Mike is his teacher. Why can I delete "who" and change "lives" into "living":

The lady living next to Mike is his teacher.

But in my OP sentence: The two-story house that had a beautiful front yard was sold $300,000.

Why can't I delete that and say: The two-story house having a beautiful front yard was sold $300,000.

Sorry for causing confusion.

My question is that In another sentence like no colon here "The lady who lives next to Mike is his teacher", why can I delete "who" and change "lives" into "living", to say "The lady living next to Mike is his teacher", but in my OP original sentence, The two-story house that had a beautiful front yard was sold $300,000. Why can't I can't delete that and say no colon here "The two-story house having a beautiful front yard was sold $300,000"?
Please note my multiple changes above. Post #8 should not have been written on six separate lines with line breaks in between. You need to practise quoting words/sentences within longer sentences.

It doesn't work in your original sentence because we don't use the verb "have" in the same way as "live".

Last edited by a moderator:
@neb090, as Rover mentioned in post #2, you are missing a word after “sold”. What is your missing word in the OP? ;)

Back