Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I am talking to someone over the phone and I have to provide them with the information they want but it is taking me long to do that but that person is very patient so can I say "It is taking long but thank you for being patient with me"?

I am talking to someone over the phone and I have to provide them with the information they want but it is taking me long to do that but that person is very patient so can I say "It is taking long but thank you for being patient with me"?

Having lived in India, I'm aware that people there say something is taking long, but it is not part of standard or international English. Instead, say "taking a long time" or "taking a while". The latter is common in American English.

You could say:

Sorry it took so long. Thank you for being so patient.

I am talking to someone over the phone and I have to provide them with the information they want but it is taking me a long time. to do that but That person is very patient so can I say "It is taking a long time. but Thank you for being patient with me"?

I frequently hear 'Thank you for your patience' when I'm actually seething inside.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back