Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Sawan, professor of Electrical Engineering at Polytechnique Montreal in Canada, is fellow of the Canadian Academy of Engineering. He is the world's pioneer in the application of microelectronics in biomedical science.

Source: China Daily

Should the phrase "Sawan is fellow of the Canadian Academy of Engineering" be "Sawan is a fellow of the Canadian Academy of Engineering"? The indefinite article (a) appears to be neccessay, I am not sure. I see in Wikipedia authors use "a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS) in 2001."

I'd say 'a Fellow' would be correct there.

I'd say 'a Fellow' would be correct there.

Does the capitalization of "f" show a special respect for the man's rank (that is, "Fellow" appears to show more respect than "fellow")?

The name,"Fellow", is often used as a category of membership in a professional body which is higher than ordinary membership, meant for the senior and more accomplished members.

Without the capital F, a fellow is a bloke/chap/dude/guy.

It's a minor typo. No native speaker will misunderstand.

I think the lack of article is okay, provided Fellow is capitalised.

This is more likely poor editing than rampant misinformation. You'd be hard-pressed to see a world leader in their area as simply a good bloke who is a scientist.

Because they are busy [strike]in[/strike] battling the rampant misinformation today.

It has nothing to do with that. It's just that the majority of readers wouldn't even notice, and the majority of those who notice won't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back