Isn't the self, the me, the ego, whatever word you like to use, isn't that divisive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kolridg

Member Type
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I wonder if word "divisive" is applicable only in the context of people's attitude to each other and their relationships? I have examined all dictionaries I have and all of them provide their definitions of this word only in the context of people's attitude, relationships.

I'm asking this question because in the context of the video I'm translating it should mean a thing bringing about inner disagreement inside of a person rather than between people. The video title is "Roots of psychological disorder", i.e. it explores inner psychological issues of people. And again, the dialogue quoted starts from the question concerning disorder of the self. These facts makes me think that dictionaries' entries I saw are not actual for this text.

2:28 - Is disorder the very nature of the self?

K: Is disorder the very nature of the self?
H: Why do you say that? Why do you ask that, if it is the nature of the self?
K: Isn't the self, the me, the ego, whatever word you like to use, isn't that divisive?

Thank you.

Policies and laws can also be very divisive, as shown by the current divide in the USA over abortion.

It seems like a perfectly appropriate use of the word to me. Remember that this is deep philosophical discourse, where sometimes it's necessary to use words in slightly unusual and creative ways to make yourself understood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back