Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
He was standing at the edge of the cliff. He screamed. His scream echoed down in/into the valley.

Are they both correct?

I would only use "into", but there might be other opinions.

I'd use only down, without in/into.

So, it seems the two teachers who have responded so far disagree. Any way to resolve this?

That's English for you. I could make an argument for "across the valley" as well. Not "down across," but just "across." Or "along."

I would follow "down" with "into" if given the original choice. Cause it is entering, so "into" is more correct.

So, it seems the two teachers who have responded so far disagree. Any way to resolve this?
I think 'disagree' is far too strong. We simply stated our individual preferences. Tarheel said clearly that there might be other opinions. I made no mention of either your or Tarheel's version being incorrect. Neither did SD.

I'd use "echoed into the valley" if the scream simply went down to the valley, then stopped. I'd use "echoed down the valley" if the scream reached the valley and then travelled along it.

I'd say His scream echoed from across the valley.

That's English for you. I could make an argument for "across the valley" as well. Not "down across," but just "across." Or "along."

I would follow "down" with "into" if given the original choice. Cause it is entering, so "into" is more correct.

Or '...echoed around the valley'?

That's a good one.

'Through the valley' is yet another possibility.

Depending on where/in which direction the echo travelled, any of the following are possible before "the valley":

into
across
around
down
along
throughout
through
up
round

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back