Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I have once learned that the past of dream is "dreamt", however, nowadays I read and hear only "dreamed". Is "dreamt" outdated?Thank you in advance for your answer. Lena101

I have once learned that the past of dream is "dreamt", however, nowadays I read and hear only "dreamed". Is "dreamt" outdated?Thank you in advance for your answer. Lena101
No, 'dreamt' is not outdated, at least in AusE. Nor is 'slept, learnt, burnt ...'.

I have once learned that the past of dream is "dreamt"

The two forms have co-existed for a long time. Dreamt may be more common in some variants, but both are in current use.

No, 'dreamt' is not outdated, at least in AusE. Nor is 'slept, learnt, burnt ...'.

... and "earnt", "spelt".

As an aside, I'm not sure "slept" belonged in your list. I don't think "sleeped" is used anywhere, is it?

Spill, probably?
It looks like beans could be spilled but not milk, the latter can be only spilt and then it's no use crying over it. Is that so?

Note that dreamt is always pronounced dremt and dreamed can be either dremt or dreemd.

'Earnt' is one of my pet hates, but so many people are using it these days I'm having to suck it up. (Definitions of Earnt - OneLook Dictionary Search)

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back