He said that he is now _____________ (study) at school.

Newhere34

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Mexico
Current Location
Europe
So, I wanted to ask about this because a few days ago I was at school and my English teacher said that I had done the exercise incorrectly, although I was sure that I had done it correctly. I tried to argue with her, but she explained it so strangely that I can't even remember her explanation right now. The topic of discussion was "Reported speech", and the sentence was: "He said that he is now ____ (study) at school." The exercise required me to open the brackets, which I did, saying, "He said that now he was studying at school," and she corrected me, saying, "He said that now he studied at school." I was humiliated because everyone in my class was looking at me since I was always the best at English, so could you guys please help me prove my point and tell who is right and who is wrong?

Attachments

• IMG-20240428-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20240428-WA0000.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum, Newhere34.

Your thread has already been answered in WRForums.

I know that you're a new member, but in future, please do not post the same question simultaneously to more than one forum. Doing so wastes our valuable time. Instead, post your question to one forum and wait for replies. If you're not satisfied with those replies, you can try another forum, but please indicate in your thread that you've already asked the same question elsewhere (provide a link), and outline why you were not satisfied with the answers you received already.
(teechar)

The word 'now' is very distracting. The question fails, in my opinion, because it's too hard to work out what the test writer means. The best answer I can offer is this:

He said that now he studies at school.

Still, 'now' is not well placed (it's better after 'he'), but at least the present tense 'studies' agrees with the present meaning of the word 'now' (the present continuous also agrees). Your answer is not good because 'now' clashes with the past tense. Your teacher's answer is equally poor, if not worse.

The word 'now' is very distracting. The question fails, in my opinion, because it's too hard to work out what the test writer means. The best answer I can offer is this:

He said that now he studies at school.

Still, 'now' is not well placed (it's better after 'he'), but at least the present tense 'studies' agrees with the present meaning of the word 'now' (the present continuous also agrees). Your answer is not good because 'now' clashes with the past tense. Your teacher's answer is equally poor, if not worse.
Well, the reason I had to use the past tense (was studying) is because the sentence started with the words "He said". I could've used "studies", but then the sentence would have to start with "He says".

Last edited:
I could've used "studies", but then the sentence would have to start with "He says".

No, that's not true. The present simple studies in my example relates to action in general present time (the 'every day' sense) even if the reporting is a single past-time action.

(By the way, the gapped sentence in your thread title and in post #1 doesn't match the original question.)

Last edited:
No, that's not true. The present simple studies in my example relates to action in general present time (the 'every day' sense) even if the reporting is a single past-time action.

(By the way, the gapped sentence in your thread title and in post #1 doesn't match the original question.)
Well, what if the writers want people to use a past tense in the exercise? Just...I don't know, why would they use "now", if they wanted people to go with "studies"?
(Yes, I just noticed)

Last edited:
Well, what if the writers want people to use past tense in the exercise? Just...I don't know, why would they use "now", if they wanted people to go with "studies"?

I would guess that either they used the word 'now' because they want you to use a present tense, or that they want you to change the word 'now' to something else. I guess the former is more likely. Anyway, don't worry about this. The question itself is a bad failure. In fact, the whole exercise is very poor. Forget it.

I would guess that either they used the word 'now' because they want you to use a present tense, or that they want you to change the word 'now' to something else. I guess the former is more likely. Anyway, don't worry about this. The question itself is a bad failure. In fact, the whole exercise is very poor. Forget it.
Yeah, I think you're right, because it really does seem pretty bad:( I'll try not to dwell on it too much...
Thank you!

Yes, I am. Why'd you ask?
I didn't even know that (Europe) was an option. It would be like if somebody asked me where I'm from and I said I'm from North America. (As I recall, there's a drop down menu with several choices on it.)

I didn't even know that (Europe) was an option. It would be like if somebody asked me where I'm from and I said I'm from North America. (As I recall, there's a drop down menu with several choices on it.)
Works for me😅

Invented dialogue. (See below.)

Abe: Where are you from?
Bob: Well, currently I'm living in Europe, but originally I'm from North America.
Abe: OK. Well, I think I need to go somewhere now.

Back