Apostrophe after Quotations on a Direct Quote

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Views : 2,149
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

I recently read a review of the movie "Inglourious Basterds" online and a segment read "the explanation given for "Funny People"'s failure". So basically I'm asking if this is the correct way of writing it.

I recently read a review of the movie "Inglourious Basterds" online and a segment read "the explanation given for "Funny People"'s failure". So basically I'm asking if this is the correct way of writing it.
***NOT A TEACHER*** I love your question. Hopefully, someone who works at a newspaper (print or online) will answer. Let me just say:(1) I truly believe that is the correct way. (2) I carefully read my American newspaper each day, and I have never seen it done that way. (3) I have seen all kinds of "crazy" ways. For example: The article wanted to mention an actor in a movie called "The Cloister Walk." So the article said: ...to introduce "The Cloister Walk's" Kathleen Norris.... Wow! How "crazy"! (By the way, I called her an "actor" because that's the word used for both genders in the States.) Of course, logic would have it as: "The Cloister Walk" 's Kathleen Norris. But I assume that editors feel that it is too unsightly. Let's see what a professional has to tell us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back