[Idiom] Zhang Dai lived a parade when the moon came out and the lanterns shone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hoping you were going to tell me what "lived a parade" means.
;-)

I suspect that it's a direct translation from Chinese. You can, of course, say somebody likes parades.

It seems to mean he was joyously happy.

It's a rare phrase, but you can find it across the internets.

Typo for "loved a parade"?

It seems to mean he was joyously happy.

It's a rare phrase, but you can find it across the internets.

I get exactly two results for the search- one from this book and one from a text that says how our ancestors have lived - a parade. And four images. It appears that not all tinternets are equal and we don't get that joyous happiness round my way. And, to make things worse, people rain on parades. :up:

I get exactly two results for the search- one from this book and one from a text that says how our ancestors have lived - a parade. And four images. It appears that not all tinternets are equal and we don't get that joyous happiness round my way. And, to make things worse, people rain on parades. :up:
What does the word mean?

Sitifan, even Tdol makes typos.

What does the word mean?

It's not a typo- a British comedian introduced the term tinternet as a way of mocking the rubbish that is published on the internet. It has a regional British dialect feature, where t' is used before nouns. Tinternet is where idiots collect on the internet. I stand by the usage and will use it again.

I'm not current on American comedians, much less British ones.
:-?

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/t'internet

If you're on Facebook, search for Peter Kay (British comedian) and a section of his stand-up show about "You wanna get on that t'internet". I can't find a YouTube video of it unfortunately.

He does have his moments, does Mr Kay. And like whoever it was who gave us the term interwebs, we are the richer for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back