[General] You're your own princess. Why do you always envy others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
A female friend I know almost posts selfies of different "pretty" women every day and comments under the selfies that "you are so hot and pretty". Actually she herself is very pretty. So I said to her today "You're your own princess. Why do you always envy others?"

Is the italic sentence natural? The intended meaning is "You yourself is pretty enough to be admired by yourself; no need to envy others".

A female friend I know [STRIKE]almost[/STRIKE] posts selfies of different "pretty" women almost every day and posts/writes comments under the selfies [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] like "you are so hot and pretty". Actually she herself is very pretty. So I said to her today "You're your own princess. Why do you always envy others?"
Is the italic sentence natural?
No, it's not natural, and you're being presumptuous by assuming she's envious of those other women.

"You yourself is pretty enough to be admired by yourself; no need to envy others".
That's also no good.
Try something like:
You're just as pretty if not prettier than those women.

I'd say she posts pictures/images/photos of other women.
She can only post a selfie of herself.

Well spotted! Unless, of course, those women were sending her their selfies.

How about:

You look like a princess yourself. Why do you like praising other women on their looks?

How about:

You look like a princess yourself. Why do you like praising other women's [STRIKE]on their[/STRIKE] looks?

If you want to use "on their", use "complimenting" instead of "praising".

Don't assume all princesses are pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back