Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Hello,
I read and heard similar sentences several times.
Usually it's:
good - better - best

However, I found a site that writes there are super super-latives.
Urban Dictionary: bestest
Is this something like slang or is it even common?
To be honest, I like bestest :)
Maybe it's common for commercials.

Cheers!

I do use it, but only deliberately and not because I don't know that it's not a real word.

If I shoot someone an e-mail with a question and they answer back right away, I might write back, "Thank you! You are the bestest!" but it's just to be fun and I wouldn't do it with someone I didn't consider to be a friend as well as a colleague.

For example, I would never be in a meeting and say "I think John put forth the bestest plan."

Hello,
I read and heard similar sentences several times.
Usually it's:
good - better - best

However, I found a site that writes there are super super-latives.
Urban Dictionary: bestest
Is this something like slang or is it even common?
To be honest, I like bestest :)
Maybe it's common for commercials.

Cheers!
***NOT a teacher***good afternoon, Nightmare85. In case you don't already know it, there is another slang word in the United States: baddest. But usually it does NOT mean "bad." It means the "best." For example: He is the baddest dude at school. = He's the "coolest guy." Thank you.

In case you don't already know it, there is another slang word in the United States: baddest. But usually it does NOT mean "bad." It means the "best." For example: He is the baddest dude at school. = He's the "coolest guy." Thank you.

Wow, are you a visionary? :)
I wanted to create a thread about the word "baddest".
Around 5 years ago I saw this cover, and I've always asked myself:
http://www.covergalaxy.com/forum/at...aiden-black-ntsc-cover-ninja-gaiden-black.jpg
(In case you don't want to click the game cover:)
Experience Ryu Hayabusa's deadly artistry in Ninja Gaiden Black, the biggest, baddest, fastest and newest installment in the critically acclaimed Ninja Gaiden series.
Now I finally know its meaning.

Just a question, shouldn't there be a comma between "fastest and newest"?
(fastest, and newest)
I thought we usually put a comma in English before an "and" when we list features, or anything else.

Cheers!

Just a question, shouldn't there be a comma between "fastest and newest"?
(fastest, and newest)
I thought we usually put a comma in English before an "and" when we list features, or anything else.
You actually drop the comma before the "and".

For example, "a, b, c and d". If its only a list of two items, as in "a and b", you don't have a comma at all.

***NOT a teacher***good afternoon, Nightmare85. In case you don't already know it, there is another slang word in the United States: baddest. But usually it does NOT mean "bad." It means the "best." For example: He is the baddest dude at school. = He's the "coolest guy." Thank you.

(Not a teacher)

The tendency in English (mostly American English, which sometimes then trickles into other regions) seems to be to use negative words positively. I find it amusing. Some words which mean 'cool', 'good' etc:

Phat (fat)
Ill
Sick
Bad
Messed up

I mean, if someone told me "That guy is one phat, ill, sick, and messed up guy", I would think to reply, "poor guy. I hope he gets better."

Also, about putting a comma before 'and' in a list of items or not - either is acceptable, and it is just personal preference. I just do it for consistency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back