You're just saying that/ I'm not just saying that/ I'm just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
According to a dictionary 'You're just saying that' means 'You don't really think that; you're only trying to be nice to me.
And 'I'm not just saying that' means I mean it; not just trying to be nice to you.

Is this how we use the phrases?
If so, what does 'I'm just saying' mean? I was talking to a foreigner at the gym and he said 'I'm just saying.' Unfortunately I don't remember what was the topic, so I can't provide a context.

You're right about the usage of "You're just saying that" and "I'm not just saying that" in the first context. However, "I'm just saying ..." can be used simply to mean "I am simply pointing something out" or similar.

I think it usually means something like 'Please don't take offence or read any ulterior motives into my comment'.

If I say to someone "The lasagna you made yesterday needed a bit more salt" and say 'I'm just saying that' would it be similar to saying 'don't take it otherwise?'

If I say to someone "The lasagna you made yesterday needed a bit more salt" and say 'I'm just saying that' would it be similar to saying 'don't take it otherwise?'

No. Your interlocutor won't understand what you're trying to say.

You mean I'm just saying, not I'm just saying that.

You mean I'm just saying, not I'm just saying that.
Wow! Let me try to explain what I think is wrong the 'that' at the end.
Adding 'that' at the end would make it an incomplete sentence, for example "I'm just saying that your lasagna is........"
I don't know if this is what's wrong with the sentence. But if it is, do we always say 'I'm just saying' without the 'that'?
And would it mean 'don't take it otherwise' if I dropped 'that'?

Adding 'that' at the end would make it an incomplete sentence, for example "I'm just saying that your lasagna is........"

No, the that isn't that kind of linking 'that'. It's a reference 'that' (like 'this and that'). It means 'what I/you just said'.

Let me put it clearly:

I'm just saying. = Don't take it otherwise.

I'm not just saying that. = I really mean what I said.
You're just saying that. =You don't really mean what you said.
Are you just saying that? = Do you really mean what you said?

"I'm just saying!" is a fixed expression. It doesn't necessarily follow the usual rules.

"I'm just saying!" is a fixed expression. It doesn't necessarily follow the usual rules.
No, the that isn't that kind of linking 'that'. It's a reference 'that' (like 'this and that'). It means 'what I/you just said'.

Let me put it clearly:

I'm just saying. = Don't take it otherwise.

I'm not just saying that. = I really mean what I said.
You're just saying that. =You don't really mean what you said.
Are you just saying that? = Do you really mean what you said?

Thank you guys so much. This is exactly the answer I was looking for. I'm just going to bother you guys one last time just to be sure. I know it means 'Please don't take offence or read any ulterior motives into my comment.'

Conversation at a restaurant with a doctor friend:

A: I hurt my shoulder while working out and now I can't lift heavy.
Doctor friend: Do you want me to have a look at it?
A: No. I'm just saying.

Would saying it mean 'I was just sharing it with you, don't worry about it'?

Your dialogue doesn't illustrate the use of I'm just saying that we're discussing here. Try to come up with something where the listener might possibly read more into the speaker's comment (and possibly take offence) than the speaker would desire.

Use the dictionary entry here: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/i-m-just-saying

Your dialogue doesn't illustrate the use of I'm just saying that we're discussing here. Try to come up with something where the listener might possibly read more into the speaker's comment (and possibly take offence) than the speaker would desire.

Use the dictionary entry here: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/i-m-just-saying

How about if I said this to a 5'8 guy:
"5'8 isn't that tall for a guy. Just saying."

I'd normally say 'no offence' here. But I think 'just saying' works just as well.

Yes, you've got it. I think your example is pretty good. Well done.

Yes, you've got it. I think your example is pretty good. Well done.

"Water boils faster when you add a bit of salt. Myth! It doesn't make any difference. And even if it does, it may take longer to boil the water. But it might make you pasta taste better. Just saying!"

The person was just trying to be funny when he was talking about pasta. But I wonder what 'just saying' means here. It obviously doesn't mean 'no offense' like my last example.

I'm a native speaker and I've never been quite sure what Americans mean when they say "I'm just saying" or why they say it.

Last edited:
I'm a native speaker and I've never been quite sure what Americans mean when they say "I'm just saying" or why they say it.
This is very interesting!

Thank you guys so much. This is exactly the answer I was looking for. I'm just going to bother you guys one last time just to be sure. I know it means 'Please don't take offence or read any ulterior motives into my comment.'

Conversation at a restaurant with a doctor friend:

A: I hurt my shoulder while working out and now I can't lift anything heavy.
Doctor friend: Do you want me to have a look at it?
A: No. I'm just saying.

Would saying it mean 'I was just sharing it with you, don't worry about it'?

OK.

It's not an expression I use, but if I did use it I would mean, "Hey! Don't take offense!" or "No offense intended!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back