Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
George: Y'know. Emily, whenever I meet a farmer I ask him if he thinks it's important to go to Agriculture School to be a good farmer.
Emily: Why, George -
George: Yeah, and some of them say that it's even a waste of time. You can get all those things, anyway, out of the pamphlets the government sends out. And Uncle Luke's getting old, - he's about ready for me to start in taking over his farm tomorrow, if I could.
Emily: My!
George: And, like you say, being gone all that time . . . in other places and meeting other people . . . Gosh, if anything like that can happen I don't want to go away. I guess new people aren't any better than old ones. I'll bet they almost never are. Emily . . . I feel that you're as good a friend as I've got. I don't need to go and meet the people in other towns.
Emily: But, George, maybe it's very important for you to go and learn all that about - cattle judging and soils and those things . . .
(Thornton Wilder, Our Town)

What is the meaning of as good a friend as I've got there? From the context I surmise this as . . . as emphasizes the fact he's got a good friend and he won't find a better one for sure. However, I can't verify this meaning - actually it's just a feeling.

It means "Of all the friends I have, you're as good as anyone else". To put it another way, "You're one of my best friends".

In this case he probably means "You're my best friend".

shootingstar, I have restored the post you deleted -It had received a response. I am now closing the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back