Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

I met someone online who insulted me. I was angry. I said "You're a despicable fool". Is it strong enough to express my anger? Is it idiomatic?

I think that if someone called me a despicable fool, I would probably laugh. It sounds very dated.

I think that if someone called me a despicable fool, I would probably laugh. It sounds very dated.
How about "You're nothing but a no-hoper".

I know that I should be polite, but I'm interested to know what I can say. I think that could be part of the English language. Would you please help me, Piscean?

If he/she insulted you, why do you think you need to be polite? As 5jj said, your first suggestion sounds like it's from an 18th-century novel. Your second isn't appropriate for someone you only know online. You might use "no-hoper" to refer to someone you know in real life who has failed to achieve anything much.

Depending on the level of insult and how offended or angry I was, my responses would range from "I was very upset by what you said. I would be grateful for an apology" all the way up to "F*ck off, you tw*t". (The second asterisk replaces an "a" - calling someone a "twit" really doesn't cut it!)

There is no safe way to attack a person verbally; this is even more true in writing. It's truest of all in a language that is not your own.

I think my strongest put-down in this forum is 'Have a nice day'.

I rather like old-fashioned abuse. You could call him a scoundrel, a knave, a poltroon, etc. They might not get it, but many will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back