[Grammar] You'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out what happens next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
(On the TV program Let's Talk in English)

Pauline: Well, friends, this is just the beginning of our story. You'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out what happens next. So, join us then. Right here on ...

Pauline and Peter: Let's Talk in English. Good-bye.

(Audio clip: https://clyp.it/h14dvjit)
-------------
a. You'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out what happens next.
b. You'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out what will happen next.

Are both of them acceptable? If not, could you tell me your opinion?

2. What does 'then' here mean?

a. used to refer to a particular time in the past or future
b. used to show the beginning or end of a conversation, statement, etc.
(https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/then_1?q=then)
c. your better answer

1. Native speakers would almost always say "what happens next". I suppose it can be argued that "what will happen next" is correct, but you will likely grow old before you hear it.

2. Then: at a particular time in the future, in this context.

[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]c. You'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out what happens next.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]d. You have to wait until tomorrow to find out what [/FONT]happens [FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]next.
-------
In my opinion, (d) also makes sense in the context. What do you think? Is (d) acceptable?[/FONT]

c. You'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out what happens next.
d. You have to wait until tomorrow to find out what happens next.
-------
In my opinion, (d) also makes sense in the context. What do you think? Is (d) acceptable?

Yes, both are acceptable but I think the present tense is more logical since the "waiting" starts from the present.

Yes, both are acceptable but I think the present tense is more logical since the "waiting" starts from the present.
I think the future tense can mean "(Today's show is going to be over soon, and after that) You'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out what happens next."

-------
In my opinion, (d) also makes sense in the context. What do you think? Is (d) acceptable?

Don't worry about what makes sense. (d) is what we say. Think of this as an expression:

You'll have to wait until ...

Don't worry about what makes sense. (d) is what we say. Think of this as an expression:

So do you mean practically (c) and (d) mean the same thing?

Oops. Sorry, I meant to say (c) is what we say.

So do you mean practically (c) and (d) mean the same thing?

It seems that you made up (d) so why are asking about what it means? The guy used (c), which is the natural way.

It seems that you made up (d) so why are asking about what it means? The guy used (c), which is the natural way.
I asked that in post #7 because I saw your post (#6). According to that post, I took it to mean you thought (c) and (d) meant the same thing, but now that it was a typo, just forget my question in post #7.:)

-------
Actually what I wanted to ask is this question.

kadioguy said:
-------

I think the future tense can mean "(Today's show is going to be over soon, and after that) You'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out what happens next."
Don't worry about what makes sense. (c) is what we say. Think of this as an expression:

The guy used (c), which is the natural way.
It seems our members have different opinions. :-?

Last edited:
Another c) person here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back