You will have to pay what you owe(in terms of money) to our company.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1) You will have to pay what you owe(in terms of money) to our company.

2) You will have to pay what you owe(in terms of money) our company.

Do we use "to" with owe?

Yes. Remove the parenthetical phrase and sentence one is natural.

I wouldn't use "to" with "owe". It's not wrong but it's more common without it.

You will have to pay what you owe our company.

I would add to emsr2d2's comment that "owe to me, you, him, her, us, them" is in fact unnatural. Perhaps this is the case because the objective forms of the English pronouns descend from the old Anglo-Saxon dative.

Do they owe things other than money?

What do they owe?

What do they owe?

Something edible like a pack of rice. Once John gave a pack of rice to Jim when he needed that because he was unable to go to the market at that time. So now Jim owes John a pack of rice. Is it correct?

Something edible like a pack of rice. Once, John gave a pack of rice to Jim when he needed [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] it because he was unable to go to the market at that time. So now Jim owes John a pack of rice. Is it correct?

Yes, that is correct.

I am fairly sure that both are used (with and without to).

:)

Something edible like a pack of rice. Once John gave a pack of rice to Jim when he needed that because he was unable to go to the market at that time. So now Jim owes John a pack of rice. Is it correct?

In that case, why don't you say that the person will have to pay their debt in money?

In that case, why don't you say that the person will have to pay their debt in money?

Sorry, I don't understand. What do you want to say?

If they owe something like rice, but you want to be paid in cash, ask them to pay in money.

If John lent Jim a bag of rice and now John wants to be repaid in some way, he would say:

1. You owe me a bag of rice [from a couple of weeks ago].
2. You owe me two quid for that bag of rice [I lent you a couple of weeks ago].

If they owe something like rice, but you want to be paid in cash, ask them to pay in money.

So, if I say "someone owes me a bag of rice" then I am asking to be paid for that. Am I not asking for a pack of rice for the one that I gave them a few days ago?

If I owe you a bag of rice, then I will give you a bag of rice. If I owe you for a bag of rice, I will give you money.

So, if I say "someone owes me a bag of rice" then I am asking to be paid for that. Am I not asking for a pack of rice for the one that I gave them a few days ago?

Do you know what the word but means?

So how did you come to write post #15?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back