You should be as optimistic as pessimistic you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
You should be as optimistic as pessimistic you are.

Please check.

"You should become as optimistic as you are now pessimistic."
Is that what you mean?

(not a teacher)
Couldn't it also mean "You should be equally optimistic and pessimistic."?

"You should become as optimistic as you are now pessimistic."
Is that what you mean?

But I don't have to use "Become".

"You should be as optimistic as you are pessimistic". Is it correct?

(not a teacher)
Couldn't it also mean "You should be equally optimistic and pessimistic."?
No,it couldn't. Not in English. It's not even grammatical.

PS: I mean the original is not grammatical. If tufguy is accepting my interpretation of what he means, then the interpretation you've given of his original is not possible - because my sentence and yours are completely different.

Last edited:
No,it couldn't. Not in English. It's not even grammatical.

PS: I mean the original is not grammatical. If tufguy is accepting my interpretation of what he means, then the interpretation you've given of his original is not possible - because my sentence and yours are completely different.

It's illogical. Optimism and pessimism are opposite casts of character. You can't be both at once. At least, not about the same subjects.

It's illogical. Optimism and pessimism are opposite casts of character. You can't be both at once. At least, not about the same subjects.

But I want to say you should be both at the same time fifty fifty. You should be optimistic so that you can think positively and don't get demoralised. You should be pessimistic as well so that you do not become over optimistic and see the negative aspect of anything that you are doing.

Then say that, and hope that people don't think you're out of your mind.

Then say that, and hope that people don't think you're out of your mind.

No, I am just asking you is there a way to say what I want to say correctly? I won't use this sentence but Ems told me that my sentence was correct.

A sentence being grammatically correct does not mean it's logical or a statement of fact.

"A lion barks when it is angry" is a grammatically sound sentence but that doesn't mean it's true or that there would be any point in saying it.

Okay tufguy:

One should embrace optimism and pessimism equally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back