[Grammar] You receive your session stamp after having your body weight and temperature measured

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
(In the announcement of Ball Pool at Taipei Children's Amusement Park)

Check in starts 20 minutes before sessions start and closes 5 minutes after.
Your reservation will be cancelled after this time.

You receive your session stamp after having your body weight and temperature measured.
----------------
Questions:

1. I am wondering why the blue part includes "will" while the red part doesn't.

A. You receive your session stamp after having your body weight and temperature measured.

B. You will receive your session stamp after having your body weight and temperature measured.

What different effects do (A) and (B) have?

-------------------
Source:

F2sZVhf.jpg

"First, the verb is "check in" whereas the noun is "check-in". Check in" is normally used for hotel and airport. I have not heard of "check in" at an amusement park.

I think the future tense should not have been used for consistency of tense though it is not wrong. The "notes" are information/directions to visitors.

Part 3 should have been a complete sentence.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's an unspoken conditional there.

If you don't check in by 5 minutes after your reservation time, your reservation will be cancelled.

Your reservation time: 5pm.
You can check in at 4.40pm at the earliest.
You can check in at 5.05pm at the latest.
If you don't check in by 5.05pm, your reservation will be cancelled (and you won't be allowed in).

The will carries a sense of certainty. The owners are trying it make it clear what will happen if those circumstances arise. Customers can be sure of the cancellation.

Thank you all. :)

Then I don't understand why the writer didn't use the same pattern to this red one? For example,

You will receive your session stamp after having your body weight and temperature measured.

(→ If you have your body weight and temperature measured, you will receive your session stamp.)

I think this sentence would also work. So what do you think about why the "will" didn't be added to the red sentence?

The present simple works better there as a statement of what always happens. This is a simple part of the routine of checking in.

The lack of aspect (i.e., the present simple tense) means that the action is not placed anywhere in time.

In the blue sentence, there is an idea of future time.

Let me give you another example to show the difference between plain present simple and will:

I drink coffee. (= This is a fact about me. There's no need to mention anything about 'when'.)
I will drink coffee. (= I'm thinking about a specific time in the future.)

Then I don't understand why the writer didn't use the same pattern to this red one?
It was probably translated by a non-native speaker who deserves to be complimented on making the meaning clear rather than challenged on their choice of tenses.

The will carries a sense of certainty. The owners are trying to make it clear what will happen if those circumstances arise. Customers can be sure of the cancellation.
I just found that the word can be improved. :)

It was probably translated by a non-native speaker who deserves to be complimented on making the meaning clear rather than challenged on their choice of tenses.

Sure! I wasn't challenging the writer. Instead, I was trying to learn English grammar points about verb tense from their choice of tenses. :up:

Last edited:
Part 3 should have been a complete sentence.
How about this one? :)

With the session stamp, re-entry for the session is free.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back