... you or your ascendants did not repatriate from the territory of ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Does "repatriate from" mean "leave"?

"People who are eligible for Karta Polaka need to confirm in writing that you or your ascendants did not repatriate from the territory of the Republic of Poland or the Polish People's Republic."

It's from the website about Polish citizenship.

I don't think so. It's available to anybody anywhere. What it does mean is a mystery to me.

I guess they think people know what that means. I guess they also think people know what "ascendants" means.

I think it's a very poor translation. I suspect they meant something like "People applying/eligible for a Karta Polaka must confirm in writing that they have never been deported/removed from ...". However, it's legal terminology so you would need an expert in Polish immigration law to get a definitive answer.

Does "repatriate" mean something like "deport"?

It's similar inasmuch as it means to be transported from a country other than your own (home) country back to your own (home) country.

For example, if I were on holiday in France and had a major medical emergency, after initial treatment my insurance company might be liable for repatriating me back to the UK if I'm too ill to continue my holiday.

If a foreign national in the UK is convicted of a crime, after serving their prison sentence, they would be either deported (a legal immigration term) or repatriated. Both involve being forcibly removed from the UK but deportation carries further restrictions on re-entry.

Well, it's not an everyday word. In fact, the odds are that I will never see it again.

They didn't have me as a consultant on that project, and it shows.
😊

It's pretty common in BrE, especially when talking about insurance cover. It's always important to make sure travel insurance includes repatriation cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back