Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I hear tons of "you know" from nativer speakers' conversation, and depending on the context, they may mean different things like emphasis or pause. Does it sometimes mean nothing but a habit not to mean anything? As I can hear much more from an individual than from others.

I hear tons of "you know" from nativer speakers' conversation, and depending on the context, they may mean different things like emphasis or pause. Does it sometimes mean nothing but a habit not to mean anything? As I can hear much more from an individual than from others.

Sometimes it is, as you say, a habit and doesn't mean anything.

You will hear "like" used the same way.

You will hear "like" used the same way.

Hi Barb_D,

Could you please give me some examples? I'm eager to learn the use of "like" in the same way of "you know". Thanks.

Do NOT try to emulate the style of speech. It's a horrible habit. I simply mentioned it so that when you, like, hear a native speaker, like, saying it all the time, you, like, don't think it means anything, you know?

You'll also hear a lot know+mean+like in the same sentence, i.e. (do) you know what I mean, like?

Do NOT try to emulate the style of speech. It's a horrible habit. I simply mentioned it so that when you, like, hear a native speaker, like, saying it all the time, you, like, don't think it means anything, you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back