You haven't messaged me since(we last talked).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
1) I said to someone that I was still full from the last meal:

Person A: Why are you still full from your last meal?
Me: Probably because it's only been one hour since. (I had the meal)

2) A person borrowed money from me. He messaged me that he would pay me back after a week. So after a week I messaged him:

"You haven't messaged me since." (we last talked)

My question- Do I need to say anything after 'since' in such contexts? Or is it implied from the context?

I would say that yes, it is implied. But also it isn't too much trouble to complete the thought. For example, for the first one I would say: "It's only been an hour since I ate." For the second one I would probably say: "You haven't texted me since we talked last."

You need to complete the thought in both cases. You can only leave out the referent (if that's the right word) when it comes just before the phrase ending in "since": I saw her last summer in Montreal. I haven't seen her since.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to complete the thought in both cases. You can only leave out the referent (if that's the right word) when it comes just before the phrase ending in "since": I saw her last summer in Montreal. I haven't seen her since.
I see. Do the following sentences sound natural:

1) I had a brunch at 1. I haven't had anything since.
2) She texted me sometime last month. I haven't heard from her since.

I see. Do the following sentences sound natural:

1) I had a brunch at 1. I haven't had anything since.
2) She texted me sometime last month. I haven't heard from her since.
Almost. A brunch is an occasion at which a late-morning or noontime meal is served. You don't use an article when you say that you've eaten such a meal.

Almost. A brunch is an occasion at which a late-morning or noontime meal is served. You don't use an article when you say that you've eaten such a meal.
Thank you for the correction. So it should be:
I had brunch at 1. I haven't had anything since. but We had a great brunch (since it's an occasion).

Thank you for the correction. So it should be:
I had brunch at 1:00. I haven't had anything since. But: We had a great brunch (since it's an occasion).
Yes.

I have no problem with "I had brunch at 1". It's clear you're talking about the time.

My problem with 'brunch at 1' is that brunch is eaten in the late morning – not the early afternoon.

My problem with 'brunch at 1' is that brunch is eaten in the late morning – not the early afternoon.

Absolutely! I missed that while concentrating on the time format.

A local restaurant with a Sunday brunch special serves it from 10:00 till 2:00. "Brunch" often refers to the style of the meal as much as the time it's served.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back